More info for new starter, pls

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Naj, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Naj

Naj Bit Poster

Hi,

Nice forum you have here. I can see there are many helpful members here. I am a moderator of a forum myself so can appreciate the help you offer.

I'm looking to get into the IT industry because since I left college with my A'Levels I have not got a job that I like or decided on a career. I did dismiss computing in college as was put off by the programming/coding. But what I do know is I'm competent when it comes to building PCs. I have a done a few now for myself and friends. Mine have always been overclocked too. I quite enjoy it too, as I'm on the PC all day, though why not make a career out of it eh.

So my aim is to try and get a job as first line support, then maybe work to MCSE or CCNA depending on how I get on. Reading through this forum, I see most people reccomend starting off with CompTIA A+ and Network +. I'm currently trying to decide how to go about to aquire these certifications. I'd like to steer cleer of training providers, until I go for the MSCE or CCNA. I'm trying to search for local colleges or adult educational institutions that may offer the CompTIA A+ and Network +. I reckon I'm good at learning from books so self-study is quite appealing at the moment. But i had 2 questions:

- are there things that I really need to be taught by an expert you know like physical demonstration?
    - should I do the A+ first or do A+ and Network + together?

Certifications: NA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

do one cert at a time, so A+ then N+ and don't do the MCSE or CCNA untill you have relevant on the job experience.

And you can self study for all certs no need for a training provider.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I dont think anything on the A+ needs expert help. If your fairly into computers, the majority of it you'll find you already know. I was in a similar position to yourself and I found the A+ just filled in gaps in my knowledge. As GBL has said, concentrate on one cert at a time.

Also, if you do come across any problems, there are alot of us here who have done the A+ and will be able to help you as much as any expert could. If you feel you need extra study materials, you could always purchase the CBT Nuggets for A+ or something similar, I used them as I was very wary myself, being the first cert/exam etc..

Get cracking and before you know it you'll be posting your passing score :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

One thing i would say is that most of the issues (id estimate 98% of mine) you will face will mainly involve the software.

You will get the occasional peripheral problem, which may be hardware related, but it always amuses me when people say they have built a pc for a friend, not saying that in your case this is true, but i think this gives some people the mindset that they should just be able to walk into a support job because of this.

Not wanting to sound harsh there, no offence meant to anyone, just from experience of people i know who have been the same, and have failed.

For someone starting out what I would suggest, obviously going with the A+ at some point, which will improve the hardware side of you diagnostics, it certainly is a useful cert for a beginner, but i would focus on one of the Microsoft support certifications, such as MCDST (Microsoft Certified desktop support technician).

This will give you a much better methodology of supporting windows, which will be the bulk of your job, then you can do A+, then progress to network+.

Also ECDL could be useful as we get a lot of "how do we do" questions re office.

Once you have a year maybe two commercial experience, you should have A+, Network+ and a MCDST, you should be starting to become a pretty good support tech, and start to gain a much deeper understanding of networking and why things work, then if ready MCSA or CCENT/CCNA maybe a possibility, or some training in something based upon your job role such as citrix, or something from the hardware vendors.

The possibilities are endless, but this should get you on the ladder.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Naj

Naj Bit Poster

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

There are trainign providers near my area but charging ridiculous prices for a few days of tuition. So I have chosen the self study route. I have ordered:

- A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (All-In-One)
    - Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport, Third Edition (Mike Meyers' Certficiation Passport)
    - PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills

I don't for a second think I could waltz into an IT just because I have built a few home PCs lol! Which is why I took the time to research into what qualifications I need first. I have read a bit of the Meyers AIO book and I seem to understand and enjoy learning about stuff I would never have bothered myself with before.

I'm sort of confused with the exams, I understand there are the 2003 and 2006 version. Do they still offer both? Which should I go for as the 2006 lets you choose a paper right?

Certifications: NA
  6. cebi

cebi Bit Poster

a good route and explained well by kevicho, i had to give a rep :)

Certifications: BSc Computing
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Nice avatar cebi 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation