More cannon fodder

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ScubaManDan, May 8, 2007.

1. ScubaManDan

ScubaManDan New Member

Hi everyone. Name's Dan and I've been reading through this forum for about a fortnight now and I just had to join. Everyone just seems so helpful, and I'm hoping one day I'll be able to offer advice and help, instead of asking for it (You'll probably hear a lot from me soon).

I recently had a guy from Advent come over and give me the whole sales pitch (He said I was perfect for MCSE). I dislike have to wade through lies to gather information. Although the course looks pretty good in terms of what they offer and the career guidence they give you, I've decided to take the cheaper option to self study. So hooray for these CertForums :biggrin Although if it wasn't for the the guy from Advent, I probably wouldn't have gone this far.

Anyway. Hi Everybody! Look 4ward to meeting you.

Certifications: None... yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Dan and welcome to CF:biggrin

Have you bought your books yet?

Well done for going for self study route.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Good to meet ya.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. ScubaManDan

ScubaManDan New Member

Thanks for the Welcome all :)

Not yet. I've been reading through the forum to get an idea of what books to start with. I've got a lot of stuff going on here at the moment, but I think I should be in a position to start in a few weeks. Right now I'm working on my CV to see if I can get into some entry level jobs. Doesn't look easy :rolleyes:

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That depends on where you look, what you know, and sometimes who you know.

Regardless, good luck with your studies, and welcome to the forum :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. ScubaManDan

ScubaManDan New Member

In fact... if anyone has spare time. Tell me what you think of my CV. I always like to get second opinions before I send it off. Don't be afraid to tear it apart. What doesn't kill me only makes m stronger :twisted:

View attachment Daniel_Robertson_Example_CV2.doc

LOL! Love the cat Arroryn. Yours?

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What?
    A salesman said you were perfect for the product he was selling!
    No way!

Greetings.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I got the sales pitch from a guy, when all I was after information - again I then found this place!

Welcome, and enjoy the knowledge! :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Unfortunately not, I haven't managed to train mine to hold bottles of beer yet. But they sup quite well out the top of a pint glass :)

I'll take a shifty at your CV - I won't be able to reply until tomorrow afternoon, if I'm giving it a proper once over. So bear with me. Or else 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. ScubaManDan

ScubaManDan New Member

Thanks. Much appreciated :thumbleft

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome, Dan!

I'm a PADI certified Rescue Diver, and I've been a swim test away from Divemaster for the past 5 years... ever since the kids were born, I haven't had a chance to finish it up!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. ScubaManDan

ScubaManDan New Member

Hey Boson! I trained as a NAUI instructor in South Africa. Unfortunately I've not had a chance to go diving again over the last 2 years or so :'( even trainined as a commercial diver to go work off the oil rigs and such. Getting married put a stop to that though :/

If you've not dived South Africa before, check out this dive I DM'd: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=6236703193831561047&q=aliwal

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Dan. Welcome to CF. The only thing I dive into is bed after a long day at work. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Never dived South Africa. Is that you in the hat and blue and black full suit? (still downloading it - will watch it later tonight!)

EDIT: quite nice! Loved the video.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to the forum.

I enjoyed the two videos! - on the East Coast out from Natal province?

I used to dive alot in Western Australia only prior to getting married..funny that it always seems to be the case...:dry

The water looks warm, no hoods and no gloves, and about 10 to 12 metres visability.

The first showed Manta, Potato Cod, a young Nurse or two [snaggle tooth] etc. That small ray looks like an electric variety we get over here but not as stubby..everyone was well back from it I noticed..yet they would occasionally tag a nurse shark lightly.

The tigers, only in warmer water!, looked mean enough..I definitely would be well away from the burley trail with my back to the shoals or someone else with those Jonny Uptails or Noahs for sure! [Noahs Ark is aussie slang for shark]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  19. ScubaManDan

ScubaManDan New Member

Yup. Me in the hat. and Yup, it's in Natal. Not more than 2 hours from Durbs. Definately an electric ray. I saw that fella a few times down there on a number of dives. The Tiger sharks one wasn't me tho. Never did see a Tiger shark at Aliwal. Had to go to Protea banks for that. Them and Zambezi's (Bull sharks). Lol.. I think we're in danger of turning this to a different type of furum :D