Monitor display problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philbenson, Dec 8, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I've just had a text message from an anxious friend. Apparently on her sons PC, the monitor display has turned sideways as she describes it. This has seemingly only recently happened since when the computer was used a few days ago, everything was fine.

I seem to remember reading about a similar problem not long ago, but cannot remember what the answer was. I would assume there must be a setting on the monitor relating to image rotation. Can anyone confirm this or suggest anything else?

I don't know what make or model of monitor the son has got, but it will be a CRT type.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

*lol* the son probably accidently hit a key combination that the video driver software recognises to rotate the display through 90%

There's no standard for that, but to solve it, I'd look in the display properties. Sadly, that means using the mouse when moving it up and down moves the cursor sideways.. have fun...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't know the fix for your problem Phil, but in a completely unrelated way I thought I'd mention that if you have an NEC Powermate VL6 pressing Ctrl + Alt + up or down arrows turns the screen upside down!

Little buggers at work had me baffled with how they were doing it at work until today! :dry

4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Thanks for that.. I knew it was something like that, but never having experienced it myself, I wasn't certain. You live and learn eh!

5. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Just been looking at the display properties on my system. I've got a Nvidia FX5700 chipset and I've found a property in the chipset settings called NVRotate which does exactly that.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I wonder why you would want to rotate the display 90deg CW?

Seems to me like a redundant function.

Now turning upside down is useful if you travel to the antipodes :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

My LCD physically rotates 90 degress for viewing long documents. Obviously, for this to work you need to be able to rotate the display as well. As for being able to rotate it 180 degrees, I think I've seen some LCDs flip right over for showing someone behnd your desk what is on screen. I might be making that bit up though.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Baba I have learnt one more gem of useless info :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Useless info? This is priceless! The office isn't going to know what's hit em! And our IT tech is going to murder me later :twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think this capability is built in because of the dual purpose--laptop/tablet PC--machines. They are really cool. I hadn't seen one IRL until a few months ago at an interview I had.

They sure are cool. Once the screen is rotated and placed in position you pull out the little electronic pen and can write to the screen or operate the system with it. Expensive little toys too. Most of them are in the $2500 price range.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You're evil. I like it. :evil

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

a 1600x1200 screen rotated is about the great for reading A4 size documents one page at a time :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

I had this at work on a client machine. I spent far too much time on it but it made me laugh.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco