Modules studied at uni on CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Jul 28, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Should I put the modules studied on my degree programme at uni on the ol' CV?

I was told by my training provider that it looked 'unprofessional' and 'babyish' if I did this...

Is there any recent graduates out there that are for / against putting module titles under the degree part of your education section on your cv?

I think it depends on whether have they any particular relevance on current / future job roles i suppose .. please help.

Cheers.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it'll end up looking messy and crap in my opinion but you could mention the modules you were good at or did best in.

For example you could put: The modules I scored highest in were Relational databases which included using Oracle and PL/SQL and Networking Fundamentals with Novell Netware.

Those were my best modules at uni.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i never have. a degree is a degree, if they're interested they'll ask in the interview

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with GBL, Grim, and the training provider. A degree is a degree. If you have an area of emphasis (for example, I had an emphasis in Computational Chemistry with my Chemistry degree), then you can put that on there... but for individual modules? Nah, I wouldn't bother.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would maybe mention a couple of them in a cover letter if necessary to demostrate knowledge if I couldn't demostrate it by other means. But listing them on my CV, no...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I would say it depends on the job you're applying for and also how many years work experience you have since the degree was taken.

I do list my Thesis title as this was a major piece of work and not all degree require a thesis/dissertation

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I think it depends upon the job that you are applying for. I wouldn't list all the modules I studied for my HND on job applications, but would emphasize any that were relevant for the role that I was applying for. For example, I completed a module on Hardware and Software concepts, so I wrote on my covering letter for a techie support role something along the lines of:

"I have recently completed a HND in Computing, which included a module studying Hardware and Software, and how the two work together"

If it was a Database Admin role that I was applying for, I would have dropped the H/W and S/W line and replaced it with a sentence emphasizing the modules covering databases. The idea is to find ways to tie in the degree to whatever the employer is looking for. Just my opinion though.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good point - bring out the subjects studied in covering letter/email

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. mark audio

mark audio Bit Poster

i dropped out of uni before i finished my HND, every recruitment agency i've been to tells me to list the modules i did complete....

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: Learning .NET
  10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps mention a dissertation topic or a work placement but no need to go into detail about the modules you did at uni.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What qualification did you get mate, HNC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, I'd consider advising that you not list your uni experience at all. In my opinion, dropping out of uni reflects on you (justly or unjustly) more negatively than your completed modules help you. Gotta think like an employer - if I got a resume of someone who started school but didn't finish, I'd likely trash it unless they exceeded my expectations elsewhere.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I'd say it depends on the circumstances preventing completion of the HND.

1. "Circumstances beyond your control": You wanted to complete study but some 'external force' prevented you from doing so. In that case I would mention on the CV very briefly that you study was terminated because of circumstances, but don't go into detail on those circumstances, but do list the modules completed.

2. "You are not the academic type": In this case I would avoid mentioning the modules completed, since you will be bound to explain why the course wasn't completed. If you say anything along the lines of 'you didn't like the course', or you 'couldn't study because you're not that type', then that will get your CV in the bin in many cases, if not all. This posses the final problem of explaining the gap in your employment which would have been the time spent studying the modules for the HND. How you do this is up to you - I honestly cannot offer a safe way passed this, but whatever you do do not lie! It will catch up with you.

Finally, instead of chasing certs, are you not able to complete the remainder of the HND to get the award? Even though there would be a gap because you didn't complete it within two years, as long as you get it done it could save you a lot of having to cover your back for every job you apply for. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. mark audio

mark audio Bit Poster

nothing as far as i know of, i passed the first year and about 80% of the 2nd year before i left... thought about going back to finish once certain things had changed but they cancelled the course! i could pay about 10K to start a new course tho :blink

15. mark audio

mark audio Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply! it was very much a beyond my control thing and the course was discontinued after my year finished, i looked at using the 1st year and some of the 2nd year module credits towards a BSc Open IT degree from open university but im beyond the point where i want to learn broad thoery and certs offer alot more practical skills than what i learnt at uni, well maybe it was jst that course, they did cancel it!

16. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Ah, but when a course 'finishes' they normally allow existing students to complete it and not accept any more for that course. It isn't normal to discontinue a course with students on, unless they have taken a break from study. At least that's how I've seen it for a friend of mine who was on a degree course, then dropped out for a while. While he was gone the course was discontinued and he ended up with no degree. I get the feeling you will be probed on this. (No need to post details here, btw, as it's your business. I'm not asking for an explanation.)

Generally, though, the fact that you have searched other avenues after having to give up your study is a plus, but the question still remains as to exactly why you think certs would be more practical. What about the broader knowledge offered by a degree? I know you said that you do not want to learn theory, but from what I see, theory is what you'll be learning on the job once you get the practical stuff nailed with the cert. That alone tells me that you just want to do the more mundane PC building-only sort of work with little scope for progression.

To get a job that you want you are going to have to broaden your horizons. I'm aware that circumstances in the passed have made you have to change direction, but it's up to you to get back on track. Employers don't feel sympathy towards candidates, and it's not their job to. They want the very best fit for the position available, and if you don't fit it you won't get the job. Be prepared to take on all knowledge you can get your hands on ands watch the opportunities come to you.

Good luck. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.