Modem/Internet Problem

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Nelix, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

I have just failed to fix a problem that I had ensured the user was an easy thing to rectify (I'll not be doing that again).

She was having broadband modem problems, i.e. the modem would not install. After about 30 mins of trying i finally gor the modem installed and recognised by the machine, I can ping anywhere on the internet, IPConfig shows all the right info, it's being assigned an IP address and the DHCP, DNS servers are all present and correct, however, Internet explorer cannot connect to any sites.

Machine is running XP Pro.

Any ideas guys????? :?:

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Have you checked the Connections Tab in Internet Explorer ?

Under LAN settings, you might want Proxy server for LAN selected ?

Just a shot in the dark - hold my hands up as usual :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What modem is it Nelix?

Try running the setup wizard in Internet Options> Connections.

or make sure that the automatically detect settings tick is cleared under LAN settings.

HTH

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Reinstall IE.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd go with the create new connection wizard. XP sometimes just doesn't want to take the manual route and prefers being "wizarded". :eek: 8)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

The Modem is the thin Silver jobbie that ntl supply when you sign up, I have the same one at home but have never had a problem with it.

The computer is the only one in the house so proxy settings dont come into it, I have also tried it with the 'automatically detect settings' tab ticked and unticked the only thing that i have not done is reinstall internet explorer, might give that a go.

they are going to give the ntl helpdesk a ring first to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you run the Internet connection wizard thing. I've had this before when a PC has had the method of Internet connection changed??

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Does the machine have a firewall other than the standard XP one installed ? Could be that something like zone alarm is blocking it. What happens if you do an Nslookup against a website ? does the name resolve ?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade