Mobile User Account

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Stoney, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hello,

Here's something that's been puzzling me and i'm not too sure of the correct solution. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Scenario: A user called Dave (for example) has a laptop and works 50% of the time in the company office and 50% of the time at various clients sites.

When Dave is in the office he needs to connect to the domain to be able to access network resources.

When Dave is at a clients site, he plugs into their LAN and then connects to the office using a VPN connection so he can retrieve email and files etc.

Question: What is the best way to configure the user accounts on Dave's laptop?

I would have thought that there would be a way to give Dave one account that can do all of this. The problem being that when Dave is in the office he gets his log on authenticated by the DC. When he's not in the office he can't get authenticated by the DC because he needs to be logged on and using the VPN connection, in order to connect to the domain.

If Dave has 2 seperate accounts, this would create inconsistency between data on each account and would be a PIA switching between accounts to find files.

Would copying the user profiles of the 2 accounts to one account work? I'm not sure of the best solution for this! :blink

Cheers,

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If the security policy allows once Dave has logged on to the laptop whilst attached to the domain he should be able to log on again away from the network using a cached profile. (May take a few logons / log off's to cache it properly though)

Alternatively you could create two seperate accounts, one for the LAN and one for away and create a single folder locally on the laptop for him to store data which is accesable from both accounts. You could then run a script to backup that data to the network when it is available.

3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey thanks Simon, I didn't know that the logon would work with a cached profile.

What if Dave had 2 accounts setup already (1 for LAN and 1 away) and you wanted to consolidate those in to one account and preserve the files and settings? Is that possible? Just thinking hypothetically here! :biggrin

Cheers

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could try merging the two Profiles folders together into one? But I'd not be too confident of that working.

Otherwise I's suggest doing it manually! 8)

5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Ok cheers, thanks for your help. :biggrin

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think it would be best to configure a user account in Active Directory but don’t make the user profile roaming.

Roaming profiles are handy when users are not sitting at the same PC day in day out but with laptop users I find they don’t work too well. If the user logs in when the laptop is offline you get a “your roaming profile could not be updated” error message which always gets a few phone calls to tech support.

As SGUK has mentioned the user would have a cached profile so there is no need to contact the DC. You *can* configure a security policy for a PC not to logon unless it can contact the DC if required. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Sparky, thanks for the feedback. I didn't think roaming profiles would work either. If Dave's been in the office all week then goes to see a client and can't connect back to the network (for what ever reason), he wont have an up to date version of files on his pc. Que phone call and moan to technical support! :dry

Another issue this has thrown up that I didn't take into consideration. What if Dave needs to add/remove programs and do general administrative stuff to his laptop whilst he's away. Say his AD account is a bog standard user, he wouldn't have administrative rights to tinker with his laptop?

Would I need to create an OU in AD and give Dave some admin rights, or perhaps edit the group policies on the laptop?

8. Sparky

The best bet would be for you to connect remotely to the laptop and then use the ‘run as’ feature to install software as administrator. I think if you hold down the shift key and right click on add\remove programmes then you are prompted for user credentials. You could then enter the admin username and password and then install software as required.

In regard to group policy if its configured on the DC then it will be cached on the laptop. You wont be able to change this unless the laptop logs onto the domain and picks up a new policy that will allow ‘dave’ to install software. To get around this you could log onto the laptop with a local admin account which would bypass the domain group policy. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Um, can't you make him a local admin whilst still keeping his normal AD credentials? Then he can install all the software he wants on his laptop.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Baba,

Would that involve adding Dave's AD account to be a member of the local administrators Group on the laptop, or creating a new local admin account for Dave just for 'administration' purposes?

I was hoping for a solution where Dave has only 1 account (local or domain) that covers all bases.

Sparky: I've done that at work before (added programs using 'run as' on domain user accounts) and it's caused problems. The users have been unable to use the software that's been installed due to them not having the same priveleges as the account that installed it. Not sure why that should happen?

11. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure as I've not got my hands too dirty with AD yet. What I do know is that we have normal domain priveliges but are also local admins so we can install/uninstall what we like on our own PCs.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  12. Sparky

I didn’t say make ‘Dave’ a local admin, I meant you could log on as a local admin to install software.

In regard to installing software as an administrator and then a ‘user’ cannot run the software this is a common problem. I’ve managed to get around this in some cases by opening the registry and then giving the ‘all users’ group full permissions to whatever folders have been added by the new application. 8)

13. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes you're right, you didn't. Baba did! :biggrin

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The reason some software doesn't work properly, is that that software has not been written to properly take into account XP's registry and other file and folder permissions. That is why so many people get frustrated and make the domain user account a member of the local admins group. This does fix this issue but it also opens up the box from a security perspective. Hence it is not recommended practice even though it is a common one.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)