Mo' money!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SVista, Apr 19, 2008.

1. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I just thought i'd let you all know that after passing the 601 on the first of this month and 602 on the 12th, i had an appraisal at work this week; my first since joining the firm in Jan 07. I had to take a pay cut to get my foot in the door in IT so my probation salary was poor, after 3 month review it went up a little, i have tried to get hands on experience with everything that we do, building, repairing, networking + routers as much as i can since i started, and have been keen to listen to and learn from those in the know. I think the combination of this and the attitude towards training out of hours under my own steam, culminating in becoming a+ certified led to them giving me a nice pay rise so im now a lot lot closer to 20k than 15k previously.

The lesson i have learned is attitude towards the work your doing, the constant desire to learn and be on point, certification, and experience are the keys to getting on and ultimately earning some mo' money!

I hope i'm on the right track!!!

SV

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I completely agree with you - enthuasiasm for the job *should* come across to the managers, and hopefully bring the benefits of more money, more responsibility and possible promotions.

Unfortunately, not all companies are like this - my company's attitude is "as long as the team reaches the desired level of results, and everyone pulls their weight, the company doesn't care".

Well done, now for the next payrise :p

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats great news :p

My company is the same as Derkits you may get a thankyou for performing well (I say may with a pinch of salt) but the company really doesn't give a **** unless you do not live up to the requirements.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I get below inflation rises every year... so well done on your payrise. 8)

5. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

"If you don't live up to requirements you'll be in trouble", if that is the only motivation for an employee in a company than they will only ever do just enough work to meet the requirements and not get in trouble, its a negative cycle that is propagated by managers that don't exactly know how to *manage* anything. People skills are just as important or even more so than tech/admin/accounts/IT or whatever field that *manager* oversees. Companies/managers should realise that investing a little time in finding out what makes there employees 'tick' could make a great difference in the performance of said employee(s) and create a more positive work environment (happier, more productive) which ultimately should equate to more profit for the company. Which *should* then spill down to the employees in the form of payrises bonuses etc! In an ideal world anyway :)

Any thoughts?

SV

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats why there is so much apathy were I work

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the payrise , whatever that is!?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

I guess everyone is different. For me the money doesn't really matter. All I need is a little dignity and respect. Give me that and I'll bend over backwards for you. If all you care about is showing me "who's the boss around here" though, then there's really no amount of money that will make me stay. You should see the incredulous look on people's faces when I refuse a contract extension or perm job offer. They just can't comprehend it. Of course, I don't have kids to feed or a mortgage to pay though...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My company is pretty big - 1000s of employees - and I work on I pretty damn big project - expanding out to about 350,000 users - and the focus for the company is the complete opposite of this. They want to keep the staff because then they meet their targets. Some of the managers from different departments have a different attitude but mostly its one of "I'm meeting my targets, so I'm doing well".

I have yet to see or hear the attitude of "where would you like to go" or "you are doing well in work, I hear such-a-such team has a position" or even when there are rumours of you leaving there isn't a "you are gaining x certs, what can we do to keep you".

They loose staff not necessarily because of lack of salary, but more because there is no encouragement from the company as a whole. They hit the profits for the year, everyone gets a bonus, nuff said.

Makes me laugh when they repeatedly get "Investors in People Champion" year after year - LOL :eek:

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. Crito

Crito Banned

I think it's a cultural thing here in America too. I'm constantly disgusted by those TV reality shows. I find it unbelievable what some people will do for a buck. Call it a bad attitude if you want, but to me a person who will drop their pants or eat maggots to win anything isn't a survivor or a hero or anything else I can say in public. :blink Seems like most of the bosses I've encountered have the attitude of "I had to get on my knees to get ahead so you must also, or do you think you're special?" It's like a vicious cycle of dehumanizing behavior. Heck, most people in this country are accustomed to pissing in a cup on demand to keep a job. What's next? Cr@pping in a can for a raise? I'm at the point now where I really don't think I'll ever be able to work for anyone but myself, in this country anyways. A little dignity is just too much to ask of an employer in America, and I'm not willing to give up my self-respect.

On the plus side, I finally got motivated to form a limited liability corporation, so no more W2s or 1099s for me. If you want to use my services it'll be corp-to-corp from now on. :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!