Mnemonics For Learning Tech

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ce127, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

Do you have any memory devices that help you memorise information when it comes to your day-to-day work in computing, or studying for exams? They sound cheesy to use, but how many times have you used "30 days hath September, April June and November" in your life to remember days in the month.

For example, our good old friend, Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away, to remember the order of the OSI layers.

Recently I've started learning Exchange through a series of Microsoft webcasts.
    If I ever need to remember the roles in Exchange server, I think of Chewy from Star Wars.

Why?
    Because Chewy becomes Chew-E, and if I imagine Chewy was talking in a deep smooth soul singer voice then it would become MmmmmmCHU-E!, which gives me Mailbox, CAS, Hub, Unified Messaging and Edge Transport.

When I was studying for my A+ years ago I made myself a little song to remember 3 laptop battery types (Nickel Metal Hydride, Nickel Cadmium, LI-ION) - information which I am 99% sure I haven't used since, but the song sticks in mine (and my wife's) head to this day.

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I prefer A Priest Saw Ten Nuns Doing Pressups, only way I can remember the OSI model lol. I remember I had trouble spelling words like because... to this day upon writing it I always say Big Elephants Can Always Understand Small Elephants.