MMC snap-in frustration: managing a pc remotely

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by csh, Oct 14, 2007.

1. csh

csh Bit Poster

Hi All! My name is X and I'm frustrated ...I have to learn for MCSA because of my work. I hold other non-MS certs but this one gives me headaches, I'm clueless and can't find the answer on my own.

My trouble is I'm learning for 70-290 and I can't get past the lesson where it tells you how to remotely administer pc's using a snap-in. I simply can't get it right.

My setup is one server running w2k3 ent sp2 and one client running xpsp2 both hosted on vmware. I don't have any domains set up, I have the same account names on both systems, belonging to the same groups and having same passwords.
    On XP I'm running windows firewall but an exception has been set so It can accept incoming DCOMs. The pc's can fully communicate with each other but obviously I'm missing something since every time I try to access something remotely through a mmc snap-in (for example remote managing device manager on xp) I get either an Access denied message or other errors depending on the resource I want to access. (for example 'Unable to open service control manager database on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Error 5: Access is denied.")
    If I try to open the mmc console logging with a user name on the remote system it opens the console but I'm still unable to access remote resources.

I'm clueless. I have to admit I come from a Linux background and this stuff is new to me.

If it would be possible could I get some step by step info on how YOU would set up this to work?
    I've checked other forums but got ambiguous answers as if I should already know this and that.

Your help is very much appreciated.
    A million thanks in advance!

Certifications: Linux+, Network+, A+
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just as a test if you type \\computername at the run line on the server do you get prompted for authentication? If so authenticate onto the PC and you should see the default shares. Try the mmc after that.

I know what you are trying to do but when I have had to connect to another PC with mmc both PCs are members of the same domain and I am logged on as domain admim.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. csh

csh Bit Poster

If I do that I'll get a "No network provider accepted the given network path" error.
    If I try to do the same but with an IP address, I get the logon screen but user name is set to Guest and is grayed out, thus can't be changed.

If I try to access the server from XP with either IP or computer name it works, even without prompting for a password.

It's a mess, isn't it?
    What could be wrong?

4. Sparky

Ok, can you ping each way by PC\server name?

*turn off Windows firewall on both machines (disable and stop the Windows service)
    *is file and Print Sharing For Microsoft Networks enabled in the properties of the Local Area Connection?
    *create a share with everyone 'full control' in the share permissions.

Any joy? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

csh,

I think that's your problem.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. csh

csh Bit Poster

Nope :(
    Disabling windows firewall on the client site allows me to ping it with its name but still doesn't solve my problem managing the computer through a mmc snap-in such as computer management. I still get access denied errors.

Any other clues?

7. csh

csh Bit Poster

r.h.lee, wow! could that be the problem? If so the MS Press I'm learning from has serious flaws because it doesn't mention that.
    More than that, it tells me to add an exception for DCOMs in windows firewall on the remote system for either local policy or domain if computer is member of a domain.

8. Sparky

You should be able to do this without having the server and PC in the same domain.

Sometimes I VPN into a customers network and map a drive to the server. My laptop is not domain member therefore I get prompted for authentication. After I authenticate I can see the shares.

If needed I can open up computer managment and connect to services etc. on the server if required. It is handy to do this if remote desktop or VNC is playing up and you cant get onto the desktop of the server. 8)

9. Sparky

I would try and map a drive between the PC and server to show that you can authenticate before trying mmc.

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

csh,

Which MS Press book are you using?

11. csh

csh Bit Poster

Thanks!
    I could successfully map a remote drive but I still can't access anything from the mmc :(

12. csh

csh Bit Poster

r.h.lee, I'm trying to learn from " MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment, Second Edition - that's a Microsoft Press release.

13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

Accesing resources because of authenticated permissions and managing a computer are slightly different. Through computer management, you can configure the computer to be a DNS server, an IIS server, an SQL server, and so on. Can you do that through simply authenticating your login into your user account on a remote computer? That's why it's a little different from each other.

14. Sparky

When you mapped the drive did you get prompted for authentication? If so did you specify the local admin account credentials?

15. Sparky

In this example it should work. I do this because I look after 40 odd domains and obviously my laptop cant be a member of all of them. :biggrin

After I VPN into the network I map a drive, specify the domain admin accont and then I can open up mmc and connect to services etc. on the server if required through mmc.

I only do this if there is a server issue that is preventing me using remote desktop to get onto the server.

16. csh

csh Bit Poster

No, I got straight connected, without the need to enter any user or password.
    Maybe because I have the same accounts on both systems with same passwords and belonging to the same groups?

However, that's not my concern at this point...

17. Sparky

Do they belong to the local admins group?

Edit:
    This might help mate
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840634

18. csh

csh Bit Poster

How can I tell? I'm only seeing one group of administrators on both systems and these users are part of it.

19. Sparky

Right click my computer > manage > local users and computers > groups > administrators.

Is the user account in there? 8)

20. csh

csh Bit Poster

Yes it is, on both systems. I also tried the mentioned workarounds from your link and still didn't work :(
    I even disabled windows firewall...still the same thing.