mm access another computer

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by sangstar, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

hey im using the mmc to connect to another computer which is fine, but it shows an 'x' next to lcla users and groups, what do i do to allow me to view these properties from a mmc on the server. an image is attached.

[​IMG]

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, MCSA: Server 2012
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

its not a domain controller by any chance, if so you dont get local users on those!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

im on the server, which is the DC, im using mmc to access another computer (192.168.0.10), which is done, but i get the x and access denied when i try to see local users and groups

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, MCSA: Server 2012
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

If the server you are accessing is a domain member, user accounts will be controlled by the DC in Active Directory Users and Computers, not the Computer Management console.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ummm. thats not entirely correct. A domain member (be it a DC or a workstation) still maintains its local users and groups. Its entirely possible to create local accounts on a machine and continue to log into them after they join a domain.

Consider this - if your domain dies, but the server is still running, you would need to use the local admin account on the server to log in in order to check out the services etc.

Domain members still contain (and give access) to the local users and groups area via the OPs method - I can confirm this, since I've made use of it in domain environments in the past.

Edit: Further proof - THe GPO at my previous work explicity added our servicedesk group to the local administrator accounts on every machine on the network, every time they logged into the domain, in order to grant SDesk admin rights on the machines. If local accounts/groups were no longer in existance, this wouldnt even be possible, let alone useful.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

You might want to go back and read your books again. A Domain Controller does not have access to Local Users and Groups.

"You cannot use Local Users and Groups to view local user and group accounts once a member server has been promoted to a domain controller. However, you can use Local Users and Groups on a domain controller to target remote computers (that are not domain controllers) on the network. Use Active Directory Users and Computers to manage users and groups in Active Directory."

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...70a8-43b3-97d8-43196a7860b81033.mspx?mfr=true

Although it does have a local SAM but it is just used for Directory Services Restore Mode or the Recovery Console.

"If you have physical access to a domain controller, you can restart the domain controller in Directory Services Restore Mode locally. Restarting in Directory Services Restore Mode takes the domain controller offline. In this mode, the server is not functioning as a domain controller.

When you start Windows Server 2003 in Directory Services Restore Mode, the local Administrator account is authenticated by the local Security Accounts Manager (SAM) database. Therefore, logging on requires that you use the local administrator password, not an Active Directory domain password. This password is set during Active Directory installation when you provide the password for Directory Services Restore Mode."

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...395a-4c21-971f-9c3b6f4563631033.mspx?mfr=true

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging/Security, Net+, Security+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have just set up a virual network with lots of different users and as far as I have done its all been through active directory users & groups.

From what I understand is you can view them through the computer management console but to edit you need to be in active directory.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

you are confusing local and domain accounts bruce, :rolleyes:
    AD Users & Computers - Domain accounts
    CM Users & Group - Local accounts

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

:oops: yep so I have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Fergal1982

Ah yes, oops. Confirmed this this morning with our DC. The DC's dont use the LUG stuff, but domain members that are not DC's still contain it.

That said, the OP's problem is still not related to this. On members, it shows up in the mmc fine, and on the DC, it just doesnt show up at all.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but this is not correct either. If you open management on a DC Local Users and Groups are not shown but when you connect to a remote computer that is a DC Local Users and Group IS shown. Take a look when you get a chance.

12. Fergal1982

want to read my post again? thats exactly what i just said.

13. Fergal1982

hmmm. double post. oops

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Seconds out... Round 2 :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

You said the following:

"That said, the OP's problem is still not related to this. On members, it shows up in the mmc fine, and on the DC, it just doesnt show up at all."

He is currently on a DC connected to a another machine. He never really was clear on if he was connecting to a DC or a non DC. If he was connecting to a non DC from a DC he should not see that error.

16. Fergal1982

since you choose to be pedantic about exactly what I said, rather than taking a second and realising i meant when connected to a DC/non-DC with mmc, I'm going to drop this, save a slight reiteration (I hope its specific enough for you).

This is likely unrelated to the OP's issue, since when looking at a DC with the MMC module, the LUAG is not visible, whereas on a non-DC, it is visible. Since the MMC is showing it, but not permitted access, I doubt this is linked. Furthermore, the OP has subsequently confirmed that he is connected from the DC to another computer, further confirming that the DC issue has nothing to do with the problem.

Now, back to topic, lets see if we can help the OP at all now shall we?

I came across another thread on another forum indicating that someone else had this issue after upgrading the machine to XP from win2k, is this what happened here? Another forum has someone indicating that using the setup disc to repair xp resolved the issue, this might be worth a try.