missing ram!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amynkai, Mar 7, 2007.

1. amynkai

amynkai New Member

I got the sims 2 dvd edition and it wont load on my laptop, just kept crashing. So i downloaded a system requirements tester and the problem is the memory. I then realised that i only have 192mb of ram! instead of 256mb, where is it!!! argh, so annoying. Could it have anything to do with my C: and D: partition??

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The usual reason on a laptop is that the graphics system has taken it.

You should get some more memory for the laptop. But - that said - many laptops aren't really much good at games, the resources are usualy too low, and the graphics system not good enough.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The RAM that you are missing is because your computer is using shared video memory. This means that a portion of your physical memory is allocated to the PC's graphics card. so that it can display its graphics.

My suggestion would be for you to buy more memory since the game will run very poorly with only the minumum memory installed.

8)

EDIT: Harry types too fast.

4. hbroomhall

Oh - and welcome to CF!

Harry.

5. amynkai

amynkai New Member

thanx for your help, someone said this to me aswell. I used to have the sims 2 and it ran fine but the disc got damaged so i got a new one, dvd one this time and now the memory problem arises! i don't get it! i asked about upgrading memory and that means sending my laptop off and paying around £70! i wondered if there was another way around it but obviously not lol

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome to CF.

I agree - depending on the game, it might not function correctly on your laptop.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What type and model of laptop is it? See if you can't get some memory cheaper that you can fit yourself.

8. amynkai

amynkai New Member

its an acer travelmate 2700 series, i asked and he said it would have to be sent off. Not only that i dont have £70! right now. Sorry if this sounds stupid i don't know too much about computers/laptops but if i was to get an external hardrive would that work? my mate has one for his pc just don't know if you can with a laptop

9. hbroomhall

Yes - you could fit an external harddrive. But it won't change the memory!

If this is the *same* laptop that you used to run the game on then I suspect that the new copy of the game has a higher memory requirement than the old copy.

You might ask some friends to see if they have the older CD to test this out.

Harry.

10. amynkai

amynkai New Member

this is where the problem comes in and i'm confused, they both require the same memory, its like mines dissapeared or something

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you can use a screwdriver you can double your memory for £20.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=TravelMate+2700+Series

Note that unless you are confident that you can locate where the memory is located ( usually on the bottom and only takes one screw), or you know someone who can do it for you I'm not suggesting that you try this, simply offering alternatives to spending £70 and being without a laptop.

12. amynkai

amynkai New Member

yeah my partner just looked it up and said it's easy he can do it. He's quite good with computers. We found the bit at the bottom you unsrew to add it in so fingers crossed it will work. I need to wait to get paid first tho! lol but i'll update you on whats happening. Thanx soo much everyone and sorry if i sounded really thick! lol

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Add as much memory as you can realistically afford... 256MB really isn't a lot for playing games.

Regarding your initial post, memory doesn't have anything to do with disk partitions (C: and D: ).

Are you getting any error messages? Or is it just crashing without any message?

Welcome to the forum!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the guys have been spot on with the info here amynkai...I would just add that since the first copy u got was on CD it clearly didnt have that much information as the DVD version has (and remember the difference between CD and DVD is 4GB!!!) but that dont mean the whole disc is taken up for the game...with regards to RAM, BBM is right and RAM is not connected to the hard drive(s) at all...its the most common thing that users tend to mix up.

And you will find that on most laptops (and some desktops) they do share the RAM with the video. so for instace if u have a 256MB RAM machine but u only see 224MB it means 32MB is being used by the graphics which is onboard.

Hope that clears it all up and good luck in fitting the RAM and welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life