Missing laptop ...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jakamoko, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Heey, Jaka's got his stupid hat on again :P

I've got 2 machines, both win2k Pro, one as Server (don't ask !), the other as PC2, both with full connectivity, can see,share, etc.

I've now added in a laptop, running Win98 SE, obtaining IP automatically (2 w2k machines are using ICS)

Laptop can see Server and PC2 no probs, and Server and PC2 can both ping Laptop (which has proper 192.168.x.x address) , BUT Laptop does NOT show up in My Network Places on either w2k machine.

Laptop has full connectivity with both, and has TCP/IP (obviously) and NetBEUI, as have both w2k's. so why is the laptop not showing ???

I know it's one of these daft things (Jaka speciality), but it's currently doing my head in !!! :gun

thanx in advance.....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Have you checked the boxes in Network Neigbourhood
    Do you want to share files on this Computer

Do you want to share printers

If so have you actually shared any folder to connect to.

Have you tryed to connect via a unc path

Probably completly wrong and sound like I'm speaking total drivel.

Now going to lie down in the dark.
    LOL

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

All fair points, mate,

But I've installed Win98 on it using the network (laptop doesn't have CD-ROM - we're not talking cutting-edge here), have access to several shared folders, and use the network printer :?:

Have even got online access thru' ICS, so what am I missing ???

4. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

Yeh, but you need to enable file and printer sharing on the Win98 laptop otherwise there's nothing for the others to see. Win 98 doesn't have this enabled by default but 2K does. I think.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanx, Andy - installed F+P services, but still one invisible laptop :evil:

Will keep trying tonite, and let you know .... I know it's something stupid :oops:

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You said that both machines can ping the laptop (and I assume that the laptop can ping the other two machines). Let's see, File and Print Sharing is on...boxes are checked for allow access to files and access to printers. Primary Network Logon is "Client for Microsoft Networks". I assume this is a Workgroup and not a domain.

If you still can't see the 98 machine on the network, use the run command and type in the UNC path (yeah, I know it's already been suggested). You should be able to access it from the other machines that way. If you can ping it, tracert it, telnet it, and otherwise connect to it, it's on the network. One of my wisest instructors told me to never trust network neighborhood.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Jakamoko

Are you running in Domain or Workgroup mode? If workgroup are they all in the same workgroup?

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheers all, prob solved !

I could ping the laptop (and from it) but not UNC to it. F+P Services was (as I've said) in place, and configured fine.

Prob was a bum install of Windows. I was doing a repair installation for a separate prob (corrupt driver,non-network related). Lo and behold, on restart - full network visibility on all machines.

Aah, the joys of Windows :321

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Glad you got it working mate.

Mind you that would have been the last thing i would have suggested as a fix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346