Missing info

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by spoovy, Mar 24, 2011.

1. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

I have been studying for 70-271 for a month, mainly from the Sybex guide but also using CBT nuggets.

I know everything in the book pretty much off by heart, but I went into a bookshop the other day and glanced through the official MS 70-271 tome. Then I had sweaty palms alright :ohmy. It seems that there is lots of stuff covered in the MS book that isn't even mentioned in the Sybex one or in CBT nuggets.

Now i'm worried that despite my best efforts I am going to fail anyway. I have only a week left before my exam but no way I can afford to buy the MS book as well.

Any advice anyone?? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you tried any practice exams? if so and you are passing then you should be ok. Its always a good idea to use more than one study book or a book and a video for exams.

For the record I never passed any of the 70-271 rediness review exams that came with the MS press books but I passed the real thing. I think the rediness review exams are generally 20% harder that the real exam and I heard that the transcender ones are evn harder so if you pass them you should be fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

To be honest i'm doing it as cheaply as possible so I bought the book and CBT course and thought that would be enough. I havn't shelled out for practice exams as well cos I don't have the money. I figured what's the point of spending money on practice exams when you if you can learn the book off by heart you should pass anyway..

That was the idea anyway. Are there any free exams anywhere? I can only find 70-270 ones.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Buy the MS press book if you can so you try the rediness review suite that comes with it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

I think i've left it a bit late now for this exam, and I really don't want to spend the money either. Luckily I paid for the second-chance thing with prometric though so if I fail I get another shot at it. If I fail I will bite the bullet and buy the MS book, then retake in a month.

I hoped someone might have been in a similar situation to me and know where the gaps are likely to be in my study material.

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Maybe the MS book can be found in a library?

Or the store in which you saw the book may have a policy which allows you to read a book for a period of one or two hours at a time without them getting up and asking you to buy the book in question (it's usually the policy in stores here in Switzerland... I could sit down and read books all day long at FNAC or other places). This way you could dig into any additional info you may have not seen in the other book.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Those sound like great ideas. Unfortunately, I don't live in Switzerland, I live in the UK. Our public libraries are a bit more.. rustic. My local library has a 100-page book on Windows 98 for the over-70s and thats' about it.

I may well try the second idea though. Put a suit on, act respectable, they should give me an hour..