Missing / hidden folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Jun 15, 2007.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'm having problems with some torrent software. All was fine until Wednesday. I did a MS update on my system (some security updates, Windows Defender and Internet Explorer patches). Now the Torrent software won't download any torrents if clicked on in IE7, but will work in Firefox.

Get error message that Windows cannot access the specified drive, path or file. You may not ahve appropriate permissions to access the item.
    On further investigation it turns out that the Temporary Internet folder appears to be missing from the c:\documents and settings \ user \ local settings etc folder. However if i try to copy anothe Temp Internet from another user or create a new one, i get that message that the folder already exists! Now, its not shown in my computer, and i have ticked the show hidden files and folders so can see others that are normally hidden. But for some reason that folder his in deep hiding, so much so that windows seems to think it doesnt exist unless i try to make a new copy of it.

Any ideas why this has happened? I cant roll back to a previous IE7 or remove the update as i can't remember which update it was.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

In the same place that you chose to view the hidden files, you should have an option about viewing "system folders". To check if the folder realy exists, set the option so you can see this type of folder.

It sounds like a problem with the options pf the torrent client. Make sure it is set in a way that clicking on a torrent starts the program.

The only other thing I can think of would be to re-install the torrent client.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I think your update to IE7 has closed some ports needed for torrents.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

you could try to set the destination folder in your torrent client to use another directory

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You could try running Attrib from a command prompt in that directory and see if the folder is still sitting there.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new profile, or logging on with a different user account and see if the folder is present.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree also if your using windows defender (or any other firewall) check that it isnt denying access to the ports needed by torrent.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i ticked the system option in the folder option tab and now can see the folder..... But still dont work with torrents in IE7. I don't think its a port issue as torrents work in Firefox and its the Torrent software that sets which port to use.
    Will probably re-install the torrent software later to see if that makes any changes.
    It was just that i wanted to know what may have caused this since it only happened after the last Windows update. It must have something to do with the security patch for IE7 that was in the update is all i can think of.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,