Missing Heroes, Smallville, 24 and other fave programs?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Jan 9, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So the Writer's Guild Of America (WGA) strike is in its 3rd month...and there is still no sign of this being sorted very soon...

For those who dont know...the reason for the strike is that the writers feel they are not getting the recognition they deserve in terms of pay. The last time there was a WGA strike was back in 1988 and the deal was made so that the writers received between 0.3% and 0.36% of video sales of movies/TV shows. That strike lasted 22 weeks! :eek:

Now with the internet being one of the sources of purchasing media (iTunes, Amazon Unbox), the writers are currently receiving 5 cents of every $19 DVD that is being sold. They are now demanding 8 cents and also 2.5% of new media profits (iTunes, etc).

In all fairness, I dont see why the big boys just dont pay them what they are asking for. I mean TV shows like Heroes, Smallville and 24 are all being effected. Even Lost which starts end of the month may not show all 16 episodes as it planned to do. Heroes ended with 11 episodes...24 has even started yet and may not start for a long time to come. Smallville is still running but this may end by March 2008 rather than May 2008. Movies are being fast tracked to production...yet the likes of Transformers 2, the 3rd Narnia movie, Thor and even the Da Vinci Code prequel Angels and Demons are not likely to be released until 2009.

its not just the writers who are joinining in the strike...even big name hollywood actors are in there too: Robin Williams and Tim Robbins to name but a few. Big name writers including Alfred Gough & Miles Millar (Smallville and Spiderman 2) and Tim Kring (Heroes creator) are urging fans to get behind them and to try make the big boys see that without the writers there would be no TV or movie to make in the first place.

It's likely we may not see a resolution to this for months, but I am hoping this can be resolved very soon as I am missing Heroes alot and I know I will miss Smallville when that ends early...luckily Lost starts very soon so thats something to look forward to as well as the new Terminator series: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

One program that has definitely been affected by the WGA is The Bionic Woman, starring our very own Michelle Ryan (Zoe Slater from Eastenders)...that program had potential and I do hope they bring it back when all this is over.

What do u guys over the pond think about all this? Are ther any fave programs u have that ur missing alot?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, my son got me hooked, first on "House" and then on "Smallville". I finished watching the first 3 seasons of "House" on DVD over the summer and just in time to start enjoying the 4th season on TV. It was the only ongoing series I watched up until my son bought the first 5 seasons of "Smallville" on DVD. I'm in the middle of season 4 now, so currently, the writer's strike has no affect on me.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Lol...it will when u get onto season 7...I love Smallville so much...I think when they do eventually close the lid on it I will have serious withdrawal symptoms...:( :unsure

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There are already 8 episodes of lost in the can, so at least we get half of season 4.

It looks like 24 is going to be delayed.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

They have to "close the lid" when Clark becomes Superman. Based on what I know so far, it's hard to see how they'll develop the story to include Lois and Lex *not* suspecting that Clark is Superman after what they've learned in the series.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I 'discovered' heroes of christmas when my bro bought me the first part of series one. After the first episode me and the mrs were hooked! We spent the next two days watching the entire series back to back! :biggrin

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Oh yeah I know they will close the lid and we're never going to see Clark don the red cape or see him fly (but we wana see him fly!)...and as for Lex and Lois "not" suspecting...trust me...they wont have a clue...:biggrin wait til u watch season 6 if u get that on DVD....episode 11 is the best out of the lot!! :biggrin

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I watch very little TV, so it doesn't affect me much. Those shows that I like, I'm sure I'll eventually watch on DVD. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hehe thats the spirit my man...:biggrin

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Pah, get with the times it's now blu-ray or HD DVD :p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I watch Smallville, although I wait until its on TV, my mate torrents so he knows ahead of me before things have happend.

Hopefully once the writers strike is over E4 will have got series 7 of Smallville so there'll be no delay for me :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, I agree with the previous poster that stated that the studios should just pay the writers. The argument that digital sales are "advertising" is ridiculous.

We got into Chuck this season and are definitely missing it, as well as the Office. If I have to endure another season of all reality shows, I might have to get rid of the TV. I try not to watch too much tv, but the shows I like, I really like and make a point to watch.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That would involve an upgrade of my disc-playing hardware, rebuying everything in our DVD library, and something nicer than a 27" plain-old TV set. No thanks! Not worth it to me. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ah u wont be saying that when it stops at episode 15 or 16 when there should be 23 lol...

Like ur mate I download them after they come out in the US...since I dont have a TV cos of all the crap that is on these days (especially reality TV shows...too many!! just leave it to Big Brother!!)...soaps are not what they use to be...and saturday morning TV has really taken a nosedive...so the only programs I download are: Lost, Heroes, Smallville, Robin Hood, Bionic Woman, Spooks and Flash Gordon...:biggrin all good

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can get DVD players which upscale the resolution to near hi def quality.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Personally I think that the writers are just trying to break even and they should be getting a lot more than what they're asking for. If it wasn't for all the leaches downloading off the internet then they wouldn't need to go on strike for more pay.:twisted:

...and noel, personally I wouldn't have mentioned that you're one of the guilty ones, but you're actually one of the reasons that these guys are on strike.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

well said. I cant believe that people whine about the strike, or how they should get paid more fairly, when they arent even contributing themselves.

If you watch it on tv, the tv company sells advertising during the programs to make money from it. It uses this money to buy the shows, and so the writers get paid. If you buy a DVD, they get paid. You are doing neither! You downloaded shows copied off the tv, that one person watched and recorded, and then spent time removing the ad breaks, so you dont even do that!

Dude, you are the reason that the writers arent getting as much money as they would want!

Rep given Nugget.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Erm...hello...I pay for these downloads...so no...I am not the reason...my downloads are legal...so whatever I pay I am supporting the writers decision...so if anyone else wants to point fingers...point it elsewhere...otherwise I wouldnt openly admit that I download them...

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Besides...if the people who recorded it and removed the ads in the first place not put it up to be downloaded...then I wouldnt be worried...however...the people who u should be pointing fingers to are exactly the ones who upload them! Anyone else wana pop?

20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok Noel, fair point. If you are paying for them, thats fine. I apologise for directing my comment at you. However my point still stands otherwise.

Out of curiosity, where do you get your downloads from?

And thats just utter rubbish. We operate in a supply and demand world. These people wouldnt bother their arse to upload if people werent interested in downloading them.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present