Missing DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jul 20, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

On a friends laptop and i cant see the DVD icon under the names of the hard drives when you click my computer. There is no life in it what so ever i open it by using the paper clip in that little hole they make on the side. Ive tried looking in device manager but i can see it in the list. In the Bios however it is saying that it is there, but when i try and get it to boot from cd it still doesnt work

Any ideas???#

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Not sure if you meant to say that you can't see it in device manager. Can you confirm if it is in there or not?

Also try, right click on my computer, click on manage, Click on storage then click on disk management. Can you see it in there? If it's not showing in either then i'd suggest making sure the power is connected properly to the drive itself.

Let us know you go.

Certifications: None
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What type of laptop is this?

I have seen a simillar problem before where the dvd does not display under xp.

The laptop(s) in question were bought with vista and downgraded to xp. the dvd worked fine under vista, and in the bios and to boot from, but for some reason xp simply would not see the drive.

can't remember what the fix was.

4. zxspectrum

No i cant see the dvd in the device list?? The laptop has always been on xp ??? With thi being a laptop how would i go about making sure the power is getting to it correctly.

Also been thinking, i have a spare one in an old laptop, which is about 2 years old, im sure that these would be able to be swapped over with each other, but where are the screws located on a lappy???

Thanks for the infor guys

Ed

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If it's being detected by the BIOS then it does have power going to it.

The screws are located in the middle of the screw holes.

Seriously - check the two are compatible without guessing (check with the vendor) before attempting to swap them.

As for where the screws are located, I'm sure a vendor manual would help you.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

device manger, Have you tried scan for hardware changes?
    So have you look under disk management if drive can be seen there
    right click my computer\manage\computer management\disk management - if then would try uninstall unenable then enable

-----
    edit then read redstar post

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. zxspectrum

The spare laptop i have is an acer 5630 and the laptop with the dodgy drive is an acer extensa 5220. Id of thought that with the laptops being the same make then a dvd rw drive in both would be the same, because desing wise it would cost effective to have a dvd drive that would fit laptops across the board, so to speak. The only way i couls see differences is betwenn one being only a cd rw, one being dvd rw and one being a bluray

Will try the stuff suggested later

Thanks

Zx

9. zxspectrum

Again cheers for the feedback people

But youll never gues whats gone on now. The laptop im trying to fix, belongs to my mates dad. My mate has a GF who has been diagnosed with having swine flu, and because ive got a more subsceptible immune system because of my on going kidney problem i can go round to the house in case i catch it??? How much of a bummer is that.

Hopefully it wont be too serious

Ed

10. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

WASH YOU HANDS

on the news today 1 in 3 :blink

11. zxspectrum

Aye i know and im subsceptible to anything liken that so im staying well clear. Apparently tho its not as bas as first thought for a pandemic, a mild form of the starin it has been cvalled, tho i ain taking any chances lol.

Plus was at the shop before and this shopp assistant was sniffling like mad, rubbing her nose every couple of seconds. Some people dont have common sense or basic hygeine.

ZX