Mirror Article - is it mirroring the reality?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by IT2009, Jan 12, 2010.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/jobs...no-better-time-to-work-in-it-115875-21798184/

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not really.

Anyone else agree?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree the article is pants!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Terrible article, IT is famous for having a lot of 'turbulence' shall we say, Y2K, dotcom bust and now Credit Crunch.

Many of the 'new' jobs are probably not so new and are merely replacing jobs lost elsewhere.

Add to that the fact that the entry level wages have not increased in real terms for around 10+ years.

Those salaries are terrible for skilled staff. Just try buying a flat in Berkshire or Oxfordshire on £25k while paying off your student loans.

Add to that that 250,000+ graduates enter the job market every year and in reality there is little to celebrate.

Most of europe funds higher education to a higher level, meaning even those with degrees are likely to be less qualified than graduates from europe and may lose out on jobs.

Only two months ago the press was widely reporting that graduates could not land jobs and government schemes were started.

£25k PA is not really going to encourage many to enroll on a degree course.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Where in the name of God do they get '140,000 new IT professionals a year' from? Really?

Absolute, utter bollocks - the whole article.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Whole article was bollocks, if anything it is going to encourage more ****ing idiots to think IT is right for them simply because they heard it is the next big thing.

As for the above parapgrah, I can't actually remember in the 2 short years of being in IT and surfing various job websites in that time, seeing a single job asking for any of the above, even the comptia A+.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I thought it was spot on... :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You Mancs would ;) not quite as sophisticated as us Salfordians :twisted:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I couldn't beleive when I read the article.
    But there must be something worse than IT at the moment, at least we can find some comfort in that :(

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+