Mike meyers AIO question.

Discussion in 'A+' started by brizzoluk, Nov 18, 2009.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi
    I am reading through chapter 13 (understanding windows) and i am on the section about the registry.
    Now he states in the book

"The CompTIA certification exams do not expect you to memorize every aspect of the windows registry. You should, however, understand the basic components of the registry, know how to edit the registry manually, and know the best way to locate a particular setting"

now unless im missing somethin here, he explains the basic components of the registry, but doesnt explain how to manually edit or the best way to locate a particular setting?

Sorry in advance im being stupid :blink

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He probably should have explained it explicitly... but if you open up regedit, it's not too difficult to figure out the answers to those questions. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

There are plenty of guides on the web detailing the process.
    This is one from Microsoft.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. brizzoluk

Ok its pretty straight forward to go into the registry and modify/edit a value but do i need to know what these values mean, or know what to change these values to if i needed to?
    I guess what im asking is how in depth with this do i need to go for the exam?

ps. thanks for the link.

5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You should know how to find and edit an entry. Which entry and which value you change it to are assumed to be given to you by someone higher up the food chain.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you will see in Meyers book about the extensions of registry files you should learn these along with other windows extensions.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. brizzoluk

Right ok that clears it up thanks for that, i was looking through the registry at all the different entries and values and thinking i will have to know what these mean and what i would need to change them to if i had to!:D

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As Meyers said, "know how to edit the registry manually", not "know what each of the settings do". In truth, there's no way for us to know what each and every setting does... they're very specific and usually set during installation by the OS or by the app vendor.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. brizzoluk

Cool, thanks to everyone for your help.