Mike Meyers A+ (7Th Edition Or 8Th Edition) School Course, Etc..

Discussion in 'A+' started by LinuxMint, Sep 2, 2012.

1. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

Greetings, I'm hoping I can get some opinions on the following situation: :unsure

I recently signed up for an A+ Certification Course at a respectable school in my city. The only information I've been given thus far is that I need the following book: Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Exam Guide 7th edition. Okay, so I go to a bookstore last night and I see both a 7th edition and an 8th edition. I inspect both books closely and see that they contain a similar structure. The only major difference I noticed is that the 7th edition contains info on the obsolete Win 2000 and the 8th edition includes Windows 7. Also, the 7th edition costs - bizarrely - $6 more!

I came home with the 8th edition and probably shouldn't have. But it's hard to wrap my brain around spending $6 more for a book that is 2 years older. Therefore, my question is this: Do you think that using the 8th edition book in this class will hurt me, help me, or make no difference at all? I have tonight and Monday to exchange the book, if necessary.

All help appreciated! :)
    LinuxMint

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. snipestech

snipestech New Member

If I'm not mistaken the 7th is geared towards the 220 701-702
    The 8th is for the 220 801-802
    I am studying the 8th edition and going to try and pass the 220-801
    Then the 220-802

3. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

I appreciate the reply. You are correct in what you stated above. Yes, I can write either exam but the school will probably better prepare me for the 701 + 702 rather than the 801 + 802. I think I'll just go now and exchange the 8th edition book for the 7th edition just so that I can avoid problems. The 701 + 702 exams should still be available for several months so I'll be okay.

Thanks

4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Linuxmint, even though the 220-701/2 exams are rumoured to still be around for some time in the future I do not believe this is set in stone and could also be a case of it being removed the day the 220-801/2 comes out. I have seen a local college near me are enrolling on the A+ for start dates in a couple of weeks, on a 15 week course for the 220-701/2 so I would presume on this basis that they have a guarantee that the exam will still be open throughout this time.

It's a hard ball to call at the moment as with not many study materials available for 801/802, yet 701/702 is due to expire in the coming months.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Nah. CompTIA are sane. They know people (like my place) run courses training people up for their exams. Killing an exam without fair warning would really upset a LOT of their partners. And if they got a rep for shafting their partners, we might all start teaching someone else's qualification. Then where'd they be?

When they're going to retire the 701/702 they'll give plenty of warning.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up returning to the bookstore and exchanging the 8th edition for the 7th edition. Then I get to class and find that the teacher doesn't care which book people use. Some have the 7th, some have the 8th. Probably most have the 8th. I'll just write the 701+702 exams to avoid problems.

7. cee134

cee134 New Member

Rumor mill is 701 and 702 are good until June 2013 (check this, this is not in stone).
    But the main thing is, the 801 is much different the the 701. You will actually have to know things like Win 2000 which the 801 does not cover. Also, if you need books, get them online, they are half as cheap, and alot of times your library may have access to the digital books for free.

WIP: A+
  8. zeldagrl

zeldagrl New Member

Just an update from the CompTia website: "The current version of the CompTIA A+ certification exam is the 800 series. The 700 series exams will be available through Aug. 31, 2013. You can take either exam series to become CompTIA A+ certified."

9. shadowwebs

Zeldagrl, thank you for providing the update, I had been looking for the latest information yesterday.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  10. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

Many thanks for that!

Only 2 more classes to go. I should make a thread on my experience. I kind of think taking a class was a waste of money. There is nothing I got in class that I couldn't have gotten just reading Mike Meyer's book on my own.

TheWelshOne likes this.
  11. TheWelshOne

TheWelshOne New Member

I'm beginning my study for the A+ exam and was wondering what exam should I be studying for? 701 or 801 series?

How long would you recommend studying/researching before taking the exam?

This will be done via self study.

Thanks
    TheWelshOne

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  12. shadowwebs

TheWelshOne,

Both of these questions you have asked do not have a definitive answer... I would recommend that you read both the 701/2 & 801/2 objectives to give yourself an idea of which you are going to study for as they cover different areas on each exam series.

In regards to how much time you should give, there is no set time frame, it all depends on how much time you can allocate to yourself but also ensure that you do not rush too much as then you may miss out on areas that you skipped over. Take your time and good things will happen.

TheWelshOne likes this.