Mike Meyer A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by christof, Oct 8, 2004.

1. christof

christof Nibble Poster

Well....it's finally arrived. The A+ book. Here starts the journey!

Just trying to get my head around the best way to go about absorbing the info in the book with out frying my brain.

If any one has any tips, now would be a great time to share.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  2. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Try picking up old computers and printers from second hand places, nothing beats getting your hands dirty to make you remember facts. Also, you come across much better when you have done something rather than read about it. The A+ is a fun qualification, hope you enjoy it.

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just to echo Shaunyboy, it is fun. Grab an old compy from somewhere or even open your own (you won't break it). Look around, identify it with what you read in the book and most of all enjoy it. Granted some of the sutff you won't see unless you have an IT job but you can still learn about it.

Later on you could even join the new quiz night.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

I'm the same as you in that I'm just getting into the Myers book. My plan is to just read through it without any note taking or anything and seeing what I absorb along the way. Then I'll go through it again in a more detailed way and take notes on the important parts.

Might not be ideal for everyone but it's the way I usually work through technical books and it's always worked well for me. You'll be surprised how much you take it from an initial "casual" read through.

Cheers,
    Derek.

5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

The only other thing I can add is don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions around here. If you get stuck, ask somebody here. That's why the site was created, and all of us were/are at the stage where we were just starting. Only by asking will you learn (well, there's also reading lol :D, but that's not the point I'm trying to make)

Remember that there will be things that you come up against that may not make sense, and sometime's asking and getting a good answer helps.

Enjoy the journey!

anyway, friday afternoon ramble over :oops:

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I echi what punkyboy has said...it took me 2 months to read my book so its a good thing to not read everything in one go...read about 2 chapters a day if you can and for anything that requires practice with a PC go for it...its better being able to do it than just reading about it...Im hoping to get my exams booked in the next couple of weeks so here's hoping and good luck boys...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Can't add anything here. All the good advice has already been given out. Yes...read the book the whole way through the first time to get the overview. Then get your equipment out and go back and dig in to the machines. You should have plenty of hands on examples from the book.

The forums are for questions and we all have been at the beginning of this road. Ask away. We're hear to be helpful and supportive. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. christof

christof Nibble Poster

thanks again to every one.

I'm not to bad on the practical hardware side of things, I've built my own machines in the past and installed OS on them etc, and even had to sort out the odd basic fault.

It's just getting your head around the actual technical names, and specs of some of the things, rather than just saying the CPU goes there, the memory fits in there, and the graphics card slots in there. Like knowing what AGP means, and how the CPU talks to the memory through a northbridge or something. Before this afternoon I thought the north bridge was some where in Manchester!

9. richsps

richsps Bit Poster

Where did you get you book fron christof? Was it a good price?

10. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I looked in waterstones and it was about £40. Went on amazon and it cost me £28 + P+P.

I've safely navigated my way through the CMOS and BIOS chapter now, and can honestly say it is a very good read, and explained in a easy to remember way.

Highly recommended. There are also other books as well, someone also told me about one called "study guide" or "A+ cram" or some thing. If you do an amazon it will give you other selections on the same subject.