Mike Mendoza Leaving Talk Sport.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by NightWalker, Aug 1, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Just heard this news today. I don’t know the circumstances, if it was his decision or Talk Sport’s. Mike is a good broadcaster, spent many an hour listening. If anyone knows any more details, please share!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't know any of the details but that station imo started going down hill when Mike Dicken died and James Whale got sacked. There are only two people I listen to on it now and that's Ian Collins and George Galloway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

And isn't George Galloway a total character? He comes from my home city of Dundee. He is certainly a man who speaks his opinion, not a 'toady' - maybe he'd be a good PM, given that fellow Scotsman Gordon Brown is struggling!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thats one way of putting it :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I know - he is 'some boy' to use another colloquial expression - a man not easily defeated in an argument! The city of Dundee breeds characters like George, though they do not all become so famous!
    :biggrin

6. NightWalker

Found this report on Mendoza. (the bit posted on July 30th). Looks like the station dropped him even though his show was being billed as the "number one overnight show on commercial radio in the UK.”

I agree with GBL, TalkSport is going downhill fast. Its the same two broadcasters I listen to now, Ian Collins and George Galloway. If Ian Collins ever gets dropped I will burn my DAB radio and never go back to TalkSport again!

7. greenbrucelee

I think George Galloway is cool apart from his views on violent video games.

I usually listen when I am driving home at nights, if Ian Collins goes I will never listen again.

8. Sparky

Dont get him started on Rangers\Celtic though, you wont get a word in. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee

Yeah I've heard his speel on that before :D

10. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

What are George's views on violent video games ? I take it he doesn't like them ? (Unless of course it is someone like George Bush or Jeremy Paxman that is being shot to pieces - with a variety of weapons, in glorious high resolution 3D graphics :biggrin )

11. greenbrucelee

He want's them banned and he want's rockstar closed down.

12. Sparky

Never gonna happen. Naaaa luck George. :biggrin

13. NightWalker

Because at 29 years of age I am obviously not old enough to make my own mind up or handle violent computer games should I choose to buy them... computer games are PRETEND. I watched a film last night where someone got shot, maybe we should ban all violent films. But films are also PRETEND. If some people have trouble differentiating between real life and pretend they should be offered help, the freedom of the majority should not be taken away to cater for the minority.

14. greenbrucelee

Exactly. When I was 6 years old the video rental shop near me would let me take anything out I wanted, the first film I ever rented was Conan the Barbarian and the week after I got one the Rambo films the key thing is I knew they were pretend so it didn't make me go mad.

People who do affected should be offered help but obviously some people may slip through the net as is the same with everything else. Some people who drink become alchies, some people who smoke a bit of weed become crack addicts just as some people who play violent video games go a bit mad, The key word is SOME.

BTW there was only one film I ever watched when I was that age that my mum stopped me from watching, was called eye of the tiger.

15. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I never knew that. I played GTA Vice City through to 100%, and didn't find the violence particularly offensive, though heard about a subsequent game 'Manhunt' that was supposedly a bit OTT.

16. NightWalker

Good news Mendoza fans. Mike will now be broadcasting on Play Radio UK (also the new home of radio legend James Whale). Mike will have a show on Wednesday and Thursday evening starting in the next few weeks. Whale is on Monday and Tuesday evening, so throw out your telly!

17. greenbrucelee

I think the reason people go against GTA is that you can pick up prostitutes have sex then beat them up and get your money back. I was once watching Richard and Judy when they did the This Morning programme and Judy said "The main aim of this game is to beat up prostitutes and kill Policmen" a slight exaggeration me thinks but once something gets a bad name it's hard to get rid of it.

People got upset with Manhunt because you could do things like pick up a piece of glass and stick it in someones head, I never thought it was a good game anyway.

That place will have Ian Collins soon at this rate :p

18. NightWalker

At least it would put all the best broadcasters back in the same place, like when they all used to work for the downhill sliding TalkSport....

19. greenbrucelee

Have you heard the new guys, they are crap. Don't know where they came from but my god are they dull.

20. NightWalker

I haven't spent long listening to them, too busy listening to the podcasts of James Whale from Play Radio UK. See ya later TalkSport! Or is it now 'Mediocre Chat Sport' :twisted: