Migrating Vista Local User Profiles to Domain?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fortch, Jun 4, 2008.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

In XP, moveuser.exe can take a local user account and migrate it to the domain. Microsoft has a patch for WMI to allow this same functionality in Vista, because the Moveuser.exe tool in Windows 2003 RK is incompatible with Vista. Problem is, I know very little about utilizing WMI for this, and I was hoping the Scripting Guys would have this in their repository, but unfortunately not. Anyone have a clue for me?

Bottom line is, I have 2 or 3 users that need to join the domain, but they have very large local accounts, and absolutely have to keep their profile in tact. I know, I wouldn't have an issue myself either, but I need a way to do this. There is a manual way to Copy the profile using a third account with admin rights, but it hasn't worked too well for test users.

Anyone run into this in Vista yet?

Keep it light on the jokes for running Vista in production :p

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Use Windows Easy transfer. (same user the profile wizard in XP I believe)

1) Use Windows easy transfer to export the profile to a folder local on the laptop
    2) Add laptop to the domain
    3) Log in as the user and you will get a new cached domain profile
    4) Use Windows easy transfer to import the profile.
    5) reboot
    6) Log back in and the user domain account will be the same as what the original local account was.

Job done :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Hmm...I tried that with another user, and Easy Transfer died horribly whilst running, but that was a while back. I also attempted it twice, I believe, and things like AppData didn't play well. Time to try it again, I guess, since my options are a bit limited. Have you done this successfully, Sparky? Just checking bro, I'm guessing that you *have* done it ;) I'll let you know how it goes....

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  4. Sparky

Only the one time for a couple of Vista laptops I was adding to a SBS domain. The files and settings transfer wizard in XP always did the trick previously when I was migrating from an XP workgroup to a domain environment.

I always clear the temp internet folder before running the wizard as it just trims the size of the profile slightly.

A few things will not transfer, the email signature in Outlook is always the one that catches me out! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Way above my pay scale, ability etc. but couldn't get the question out of my mind - why not get the new user to log on/off the new account on the domain, and then once the profile is created and stored on the server, copy the old profile on top of the server profile?

I guessing its something to do with the workgroup -> domain transfer as we do this at work but its from domain -> domain.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

Nope haven't run into the problem myself..but there has to be a way. In XP one could copy profile files manually to a new account so I guess this is also possible..

7. Sparky

Yeah, I think if you copy the local profile over the cached domain profile a new profile will be created when the user logs in. The cached profile will be called username.domain so there is no conflict with the profile that is already there.