midi file converter

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, May 29, 2006.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all. I have a .mid file that I would like to play on my system. It seems that it won't play in winamp or media player despite the format being supported but it does play in quicktime.

Does anyone know of any file converters/music programs to be able to convert the .mid file to something that windows can play?

I've had a bit of a look see on google but as I'm not a music buff I don't really have a clue.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

www.videolan.org

Plays most files that I've tried. 8)

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Surprised it won't play on Windows, Nugg - midi files aren't sound files as such, more they are the "sheet music" for a midi player (which Media Player et all should handle).

Basically, the file defines which pre-set tones (or voices, ie instruments) to use (using General Midi - 128 standard voices covering drums and instruments). Also in the code is pitch of note and note length. All together, these can play I think 32 channels together, giving true polyphony ("many voices")
    and depending on the quality of the tone generator, can either sound cr@p or generally high quality.

More advanced midi file use comes when you move away from using the General Midi standard, and onto using your own custom tones from high powered synths and/ or tone generators and sequencing software, but that's getting away from the question asked here. Also, my description is based on knowledege of working/ playing with midi some 3-4 years ago now. I openly welcome clarification and updates by anyone else with more knowledge in this area :)

EDIT: OK, just tried, and WMP doesn't recognise a .mid file straight off - mine asks for additional codecs. You could try SG's suggestion, but you my end up needing some custom midi player, such as Cakewalk

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In general jak is right on the button. (I've been messing with MIDI for years and have a few hardware synths).

However - Cakewalk is not really a player! It is a very good sequencer!

It *used* to be the case that Media Player would play MIDI files - not always well - but it would play them. (And I've just checked - as I haven't used it for ages like that - it 'works')

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice one Harry - just the kind of clarification my ramblings required :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Further to this - there *are* 'converters' that will take MIDI and produce a Wave (or similar) file. Some of them are vile, and some reasonable.

The problem is that they have to be 'synths' in fact - and making a soft-synth is not a trivial exercise.

The best way of doing this is to first ident which synth (if not GM) is needed for the file, and finding a soft-synth for that. Most soft-synths can be used for a few days for free on a trial basis (well - last time I looked).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for help guys. I dl'd a converter program last night to do the conversion then I'll delete it again.

It seems that even this program didn't want anything to do with the original file. I couldn't convert it to mp3, wav, wma or ogg. Previous to these trials I also made a copy of the file and then I tried it on this version. The strange thing is it worked.

I did notice that the copy did have a type midi 1 extension whereas the original only had midi. I still couldn't play the copy in any program other than Quicktime though.

But now all's okay and I have my converted midi file.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685