Microsoft''s study material for 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by michael78, Jan 29, 2006.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I bought the microsoft 2003 core set and I going to be starting to study for the 70-290 exam soon. I'm a tad worried as the 70-290 book is pretty thin compared to syngress's offering of 800 pages long and Sybex's offering of 600 odd pages.

Microsoft's book is nowhere near as big as these two. Has anyone used the Microsoft book to study for the exam and does it cover all I need for it? If it isn't can anyone recommend a good book?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Slypie, I reckon you should use at least two good books to study for MCP exams. One book never seems to cover all the topics in sufficient detail and IMHO the Microsoft books are very dry in comparison to Sybex etc.

I haven't studied for this exam, so I can't give you advice on a specific book.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. michael78

Bluerinse cheers for the advice mate, I like Sybex, I used their books for my A+ and Network+ exams. It seems when it comes to MCSA/MCSE Sybex books seem to be slated a bit on Amazon's website in the user reviews which I tend to go off (with a pinch of salt).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

I studied 290 about 6 months ago Slypie.
    I found the MS-Press 290 book very useful.
    I also used Exam Cram 2 book, which was good for me.
    I agree with BlueRinse about using 2 books for all these exams, and some good practice tests. I used MeasureUp and Transcender for 290.

Good luck with studies.

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Has nobody ever said 'size isn't important' to you before?

I hear it quite a lot.
    I have many small textbooks.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im starting too and using the core set of books and the sybex book aswell.. my question is does the book in the mcse core set (the floppy soft cover one...) contain the same stuff in the MS Press hardcover 70-290 book? :blink i know it might sound stupid but im just wondering...

Hardcover
    Core Set

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

This if getting worse.

Zimbo has a soft one but is recommending a hard-core version!

8. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

LOL :biggrin

Im using Microsoft Press book,mine is soft also :p
    I also have access to Microsoft e-learning courses,not sure what they are like as im yet to use them.

Master Visually Windows Server 2003,written by our very own MR Tripwire looks to be a good read.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Being serious for a moment...

I've got the MCSE core set and it's mental. It's quite advanced and it's not really broken into modules. It's assorted books on subjects like 'security','group policy','optimizing performance' etc so it can be a bit difficult to find what you're looking for.
    They are great for reference in the office but I can't study from them. I'd rather have a single book '70-290' or whatever.

10. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

I've read the sybex book (I read it as I needed to address some 2003 work and I also read it before I started revising for the 270 proper). As technical manuals go, it's quite lite reading, and has put me in quite good stead in terms of whats happening on the client side of things and why. That said, I think that the MS 70-270 is a much better written book (nice and compartmeltalised with well paced Q&A sessions) , and easier to flick through than the sybex offering. Hope this helps!

dcuk

11. michael78

Cheers for the advice guys. I think I'll stick to my softcore MS Press book...:D

I have trips book I've not had a chance to read through it yet though it looks good. I like visual books on these types of subjects as it means it's harder to go wrong.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Slypie, I am sure Mr Pyles won't mind me saying this. The book was not written as an exam preparation guide, it is a good book that shows you how to do things in Server 2003 but it doesn't cover the topics in enough detail to be used for serious study, with the goal of passing the Microsoft Server 2003 exam. You really need a book that is aimed at *exam* candidates.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

any suggestions please? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whilst I can't offer any specific recommendations I have always found that to study for an exam you need two core texts. One which is exam based, such as MS's 290 book, and one which is not, such as the Server 2003 Resource Kit.

The core book will take you through the exam topics, whilst the other book will help you to clarify your understanding in a non exam way.

A book such as Mr Pyles's, is a great book for the real world way of doing things and will greatly help you to learn Windows 2003, but, as Bluerinse says, it doesnt cover enough detail to help you to prepare for the exam.

8)

15. michael78

sorry guys bit of confusion here I know Trips book isn't designed to study for the exam I was just commenting on Tylers post and saying I had bought Trips book.