Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (70-642) or Comptia A+

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by neilpatel1989, Sep 18, 2010.

1. neilpatel1989

neilpatel1989 New Member

I have decided to go to college and do a part time course. It has come down to either Windows Server 2008 (70-642) or CompTIA A+? The other options were Installing & Configuring Windows 7 (70-680) or MCDST upgrade to Enterprise Support technician (70-622).

I need some help deciding on which of these to do as I am in a bit of a limbo at the moment.:confused3

2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

For the MCDST upgrade to Enterprise Support technician you will actually need the MCDST certification.
    Do you have that one? Or any other certifications?

If you don't have any, start off with A+ which should give you a good foundation. Then, go for a client exam (MCDST, or 70-680 MCTS for Windows 7).

I'd hold on to take a server exam for a while.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. purana

purana Nibble Poster

I'd say go the A+, as the 70-642 exam on its own will only give you a MCTS certification for that area. You'd then need to do other exams to turn it into a MCITP of some type.

Start with the A+ and then do some others to obtain MCTS certs and then MCITP's in the areas you are interested in.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What is your current experience Neil?

It's hard to give good advice with nothing too relate it too :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. neilpatel1989

neilpatel1989 New Member

If I went down the self study route to do the A+ how long do you think it could take?

@Simonvm: I don't have the MCDST cert yet, but I do have the books for it. What do you think about doing MCDST over A+?

@Bluerinse: I haven't got any experience as of yet, but for the past 2/2½ months I have been applying for entry level helpdesk/technical support roles.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Then you want the A+ or MCDST, it would be a waste of time (in my opinion) to go for a Windows Server exam at this stage in your career.

As for the timeframe to complete the A+, that really depends on the persons ability to grasp the concepts required. How long it takes person A to complete it has no bearing on how long it would take person B to complete it (as an example, I have sat exams before where I did no prep work for it and passed, I know others who have taken weeks of prep to pass it, does that mean the exam itself was easy.. or I just knew the technology involved?).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. neilpatel1989

neilpatel1989 New Member

@SimonD: So do you think I should go for the A+ or MCDST?

I know that if I get A+ certified by January I will not have to renew it every 3 years. I also know that the MCDST cert will be discontinued in March 2011.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

But you can update the MCDST to the MCITP Enterprise Support certification.

I would also remember that you need to have certified by the 31st of December 2010 rather than January 2011 for you to retain your certification for life.

I would honestly suggest both.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. neilpatel1989

neilpatel1989 New Member

thanks for the advice SimonD. Will Start doing both right away. I'll focus more on the A+ more for the time being, as I will have to get certified by the end of december.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good thinking 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)