Microsoft Windows Security

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by SimonV, Sep 12, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

So after a month of windows patches, updates and vulnerabilities IT professionals and users must surely be wondering what will come around the corner next from Microsoft. As this and other mundane thoughs ran through my head I wondered what your opinions on the situation Microsoft has put computer users in. Has this situation had an effect on your working day, do you not care less about security or are you as the kind of tech that checks windows update every day for the next patch.

:whatthink

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well, I don't work in IT so I don't speak with users in the workplace.

However, the macmillan nurses office at the hospital I work at, are forever downloading patches/updates.

When I walk past the office I always ask them if they're alright with installing stuff.

I've helped them a couple of times.

I do know that they find it a hassle, as they just want to get on with their work.

Their IT stuff isn't handlesd by the hospital engineers, but by their head office in London.

They ask me for explanations but even I'm not sure what to say, I just reassure them that:

"this is a bad time at the moment, it should get better soon"

but I'm just saying that really, it could get worse, who knows.

This is only a small example, but I can only imagine the hassle involved in keeping security patches up to date in a large company.

I suppose I've got that to come yet.