Microsoft to lock pirates out of Vista PCs

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Microsoft to lock pirates out of Vista PCs

"Windows Vista will have new antipiracy technology that locks people out their PCs if the operating system isn't activated within 30 days after installation.

If Vista is not activated with a legitimate product registration key in time, the system will run in "reduced functionality mode" until it is activated, said Thomas Lindeman, a senior product manager at Microsoft. In this mode, people will be able to use a Web browser for up to an hour, after which time the system will log them out, he said...."

Read the full article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. SimonV
      SimonV
      I moved this to the News forum and made it a news post.

If you pm a news posting member with these kinds of stories they will post them into this forum, a list of the user can be found on the forum leaders page here.
    2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
      UCHEEKYMONKEY
      Isn't that what they said about Win XP home edition?

Yet I read in a similiar article on the web that hackers still got around the activation period?

Instead of MS investing money and time into antipiracy technology why can't they spend that money and time on making a better product?:rolleyes:
    3. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      I've got no problems with people taking steps to protect their own products.

But I would think long and hard about putting VISTA on our network. Sounds like hard work!
    4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
      UCHEEKYMONKEY

Good point Jonny!

Just like Valve protected their game HL2 with Steam technology.:biggrin
      I just find it hard to spend money on MS products after experiencing Linux Distro's. Then again I still need MS products for Certs ( Bit of a catch 22 :( )
    5. noelg24
      noelg24
      wow they really have put their foot down on this one...but no surprise really...only a matter of time until someone breaks it...