Problem Microsoft / Sonicwall VPN

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tomshawk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Hey Everyone, Long time no see. I hope everyone is fine.

I have an issue with a client and I cant seem to solve it, hopefully someone here has some idea as to what I am doing wrong.

First and foremost, the network has a SBS2011 and 2 2k3 Servers, one is a Term Server and the other is a Famous Database Server.
    They have a Sonicwall TZ-210 Router

Outside clients use the Sonicwall VPN client to log into the network, and it is configured to be the DHCP Server for the network.
    The Famous database is having a problem, so Famous wants to log in remotely but they refuse to use the Sonicwall client, they will only use Microsoft's client. To do this I have to change the DHCP Server from Sonicwall to Microsoft, OK, No problem, so I thought.

Anyway, I disabled the DHCP Server on the Sonicwall, enabled the MS and now Famous can get in, but now the Sonicwall users cant.
    There is a setting on the Sonicwall to tell it to use a Relay and I point it to the SBS Server but it will not forward IPs as it should

I go ahead and re-enable the Sonicwall DHCP Server but on a different interface X2 for example, and tell the Sonicwall VPN clients to use that Interface, now they work but the SBS2011 DHCP Server keeps shutting itself down so now the MS VPN does not work and inside clients loose connection to the network when their lease is up.

The weird note, is that the inside clients do not get an IP from he sonicwall now because I told it to be on interface X2 so they shouldn't, (Working as designed) but MS sees the DHCP Server and shuts itself down. WHA??

And thoughts or assistance owuld be greatly appriciated.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention, sorry.

There is a setting in the Sonicwall that states to use a different DHCP Server for the clients to use.
    I tried just adding the SBS server to it and have the Server give out the IPs

The MS VPN will work and the Sonicwall clients will authenticate but not get an IP. It just sits there trying forever before it finally fails.

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just had a look on a few of the Sonicwalls I support.

For the VPN setup I don’t have any DHCP configured on the Sonicwall, there is no forwarding either to the SBS for DHCP.

Is X2 on the same subnet as X1 (LAN?) through portshield? – if so the SBS will pick this up and switch off the DHCP server.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

No, X2 and X1 are on different Subnets, Thank you though.

I have looked everywhere and pretty much given up, I am going to set up Sonicwall's SSL VPN and go that route as I just found out the company (Famous) supports it.

Thanks again

4. Sparky

No probs - the SSL VPN is much easier to support :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Just wanted to drop a note so this is not left hanging.

I did the SSL VPN and the Software support people are happy and the Users employees did not see a change. All is good.

Thanks again Sparky for the reply and interest.

6. Sparky

Glad everything is sorted mate :)