Microsoft Server course offered through OU

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JK2447, Apr 19, 2010.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi All,

The OU are running a Microsoft Server course that prepares you for a few of the Server 2008 exams here.
    You get 30 points toward a HND, Degree etc so if used in combination with the two professional accreditations for Microsoft studies already taken here and here thats 90 points at Level 1 you can now gain through the OU for your Microsoft studies, pretty sweet I think you'll agree.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Really fancied doing an OU degree or HND but couldn't find a course to get me an HND without doing a course on programming and/or maths which I wouldn't want to do. That Microsoft server technologies course looks great but wouldn't be enough to get me the qualification on it's own.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The OU don't just hand out qualifications for nothing, they have fairly strict standards that have to be met, which on the whole I think is a good thing.

These are the two credit modules available for MCSA, 60 points I think. There has been posts about them before. The server tech course however is new.

Plus you can pay to have experience or part completed courses to be assessed for credit.

There are however always a minimum number of credits that must be earnt from OU study.

I'm pretty sure you could get a HND without taking any programming or maths modules. There are many Cisco models, there are modules on general IT and society, etc. I'd probably advise most people the get their hands dirty with programming and maths as well if they can, especially if doing a full degree and therefore more modules.

Here is a named foundation degree that focuses on networking :-

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/g04.htm

You can also of course opt to do an open degree, which means you can take any subjects you want, poetry, psychology, literally any course you like as long as you get enough points at the right levels.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010