Microsoft SCDPM 2010 - RTM

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Modey, May 9, 2010.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't know if this strictly belongs in the Virtual Computing forum, but SCDPM is great for backing up Hyper-V so maybe it does belong. :)

I have been using the RC of this for a few months now and if you have a predominatly MS environment, then it's a fantastic backup solution. It also (as mentioned) integrated very well with Hyper-V hosts and the virtual servers running on them. There are a few things that irritated me about DPM whilst using the RC but on the whole it's been pretty spot on. Hopefully they have fixed some of the irritants in the final release.

Should be available via the normal channels towards the end of May.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sounds like you've just volunteered to do that project at work :twisted:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

We've tested it for some time too, and we too will be rolling it out when it becomes available.

As you said, great product if your environment is mostly MS. We've tested it on SQL Server, DC's, Exchange, Hyper-V, Sharepoint and File shares (which is basically all we need) and it worked out great!

Well worth the money (it's not that expensive as well).

To sum it all up I think DPM team has done a great job.

Do you think there will be MCTS for DPM 2010?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Kitkatninja

I can only assume so as there is one for DPM 2007.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. Kitkatninja

See here.

Plus for those of us that are using the beta product, there will be a beta to RTM upgrade path.

-Ken

6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sweet. Thanks

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am going to be doing an install of this (probably this over 2007, it depends on tomorrow) so I will be doing another install guide for this relatively shortly (I would have done it sooner but it's not on Technet or MSVL as yet).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am actually implementing an offsite backup solution as of tomorrow... so I don't think we'll be using this. But I'll test it out in my home environment after I am done setting up SCCM.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The one thing to watch out for is the disk storage setup for it. You will need a hard disk without any other volumes on it for the short term storage. Also the space will get eaten up pretty quickly.

We are using a 10TB array at work for our short term disk protection and it got snaffled up pretty quick by DPM. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Looking forward to getting the RTM on to be honest. I'm hoping it will add some new features and fix some others that need attention. :)

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

How many PG's are you using and what kind of data? I had a 2007 DPM site with 10tb of RAW disk that still had 4TB left after 6 months of use, that was with SQL and Exchange data, admittedly they were only keeping 1 weeks worth of data, the rest hiving off to tape. (SQL and Exchange was being snapshotted (recovery points) every 15 minutes as well.

One thing to also know for 2007 is that you will have issues with DPM and anything over 10tb if you are running a 32bit OS for the DPM backend, it's sorted with 2010 because it's purely a 64bit OS so no 10tb limit there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think you may have to wait for SP1 for some fixes, there were still issues being logged a couple of weeks prior to RTM.

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

A fair bit is being backed up, but we still have about 3TB left. We have 2 PG's. One is backed up to disk for a week and also archived to tape every day. The second is for servers and data that doesn't change that often, so it's backed up to disk, then to tape once a month. The first PG is the big one though and includes a couple of big fileservers, couple of exchange servers, some SQL also. (most of which I might add are Hyper-V VM's, the Hyper-V support is Winrar! :) )

We have a pretty decent tape system connected to it now also, which helps. A Quantum Superloader 3, with an Ultrium 4 drive and an 8 slot caddy.

As for 2007, we never used it. Started with the 2010 beta, then moved to the RC. It's running on a 2K8 R2 server.

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

One of the things that was always recommended with 2007 at least was to keep your PG's with like for like data.
    For example, we used a SQL PG, Exchange PG, System State PG and Print\File PG's. This allowed for each PG to do the required Recovery Points (ie every 15 minutes or 2 hours).

Having a mixed PG with differing requirements made for a very complex backup solution (and something MS don't recommend) which is why we went with multiple PG's.

15. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Does it now actually backup Hyper V VM's that are on a CSV?

We tried to get DPM 2007 to work to backup our new Hyper V environment as it was "Hyper V" supported but only to none clustered disks. It was the final nail in the coffin for our Hyper V experience.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes it does indeed backup Hyper-V on CSV's now.

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

To be fair though, from what I understand Hyper-V support in 2007 was fairly limited full stop. It's great in 2010 though, which is to be expected really.

18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Guys,

Just so you know, those with MSVL accounts should actually be able to download DPM 2010 now, it's still not officially on the MSVL website however if you find the Systems Management Suite that was updated on the 29th of April 2010 then you will find the DPM 2010 download. I am installing it at the moment and I should advise that manually installing the SQL 2008 element didn't exactly work for me as it asked for the Product Key for SQL 2008, however I installed from another SQL 2008 iso and it was embedded into the PID and didn't ask me for the key.

I will feed back once I have it running more but it was just a heads up for those waiting for the RTM version.

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the info Simon. I tried to grab it this afternoon, but it kept pausing / timing out for some reason. Will try again on Monday. :)