Microsoft Route MCITP or MCSA

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by satz, Sep 3, 2012.

1. satz

satz Bit Poster

Hello All

I'm a little confused in to which path is the best for my situation.

My background in brief is i'm IT administrator which i gained from working as volunteer as IT Junior then moved up the ranks as the IT Manager left. The set up is windows server 2008 and server 2003 with around 60 clients on XP at my current location. Also before that I've always been in to IT and done many jobs from building computer to small office network setups.

But now I've got a new job and thinking of polishing up my skills and getting more in to the server admin side.

Now i'm looking at qualifications and some people recommended doing MCITP but feel a bit rushed now as it finishes next year.

The areas that i'm thinking of studying and getting quals for are:

Exam 70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring
    Exam 70-685:Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Exam 70-640:Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring
    Exam 70-642:Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring
    Exam 70-646:Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator

But im confused about MCITP or MCSA anybody got any recommendations?

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi Satz,

I would pursue the new MCSA on server 2008. It's composed of three exams, Windows Server 2008 exams and would a good starting point. After you can expand towards MCSE on Server 2012. Keep in mind, that the MCSE certifications will need to be renewed every 3 years.

If you want to do the easier certs like Windows 7 exams, go for it. It all depends on where you're comfortable and what's more in line with your job.

Here's a link that you can look at for the MCSA 2008.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I'd have to agree with this statement.

This statement, though, I'd have to ask for some qualification. In what way easier? These aren't the MCDST exams and are just as difficult to pass as any other MCTS exams. If you mean that only 2 are needed to get an MCITP, then obviously that's true. But the days of the 'easier' client exams are now gone.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. satz

satz Bit Poster

Do i need to do anything before going for the Microsoft MCSA: Windows Server 2008 Certification

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

There are no 'pre-reqs' as such. Just the understanding that the candidate will have been using Server 2008R2 in a day-to-day working environment for over a year (preferably with over 250 users, multiple sites & multiple DC's).

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Meaning, its more entry level than Windows Server 2008 exams. Its usually the first exam that a lot of people take. Of course its not a windows xp exam, it is tougher, but its not the same as 70-640, 642, 646, etc...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA