microsoft masters course, MCSE,MCSA,MCDBA,MCDST,MCAD,MCP???

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by bobby24london, May 19, 2009.

1. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

hi there has anyone have any views on this course its direct with microsoft classroom based and think with all exams its 4k and lasts about 1 month pos 3 and a half weeks, cheers bobby:D

2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

As per many other posts on these forums. MCSE without experience is generally worse than no MCSE. This training cannot teach you the skills and concepts of MCSE (not to mention the other certs) in the time given, just how to pass the exams. This would end up doing you more harm than good and cost you 4k for the privelege!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Spend the 4K on books, CBTS and a nice system with plenty of processing power,disk space and RAM, install VMWare server and learn how to set up a small network for your labs.

Lock yourself in a room everynight, go through the motions of becoming good at what you do, and then apply it at work, get more responsibility and more practical experience, become known as the guy who gets things done, read forums and technical websites, live the life of an IT guru.

However dont waste your 4k on a quick short term memory test beating course, as people who dont know what they are doing make life a misery, and cost there companies, and will be back to square one very quickly.

This is not meant as sarcastic or horrible but I posted a whole thread dedicated to reasons why your strategy will fail, why becoming a paper MCSE is a trip to nowhere and why IT is a long term career, these sort of courses dont help anyone but highly experienced techs who work with the technology to a high level every day and will actually benefit from this brush up to see them through there certs in a rapid time.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Your question is not very well phrased, do you mean the microsoft master cert or the 'ranger' program ?

As mentioned these certs are supposed to be above even MCSE or MCPD or MCITP level, they are definitely not for those without experience.

By the way you can no longer obtain MCDBA or MCAD. Where on earth are you getting your information from ?

Also you have listed certs from all different areas, if you are starting out you would do well to master one area first.

5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Bobby

As pointed out in the other threads you have put up these course are a major reason for the devaluation of the MCSE as a qualification, and doing them will not help you in your career, in fact it will likely harm you.

Allow me to explain further:

You get your MCSE job and the IT manager comes to you and says I want you to institue IPsec across the domain, with all clients having appropriate VPNS, while there please integrate the new Enterprise Exchange 2007 server into our current 2000 based Enterprise Exchange setup, oh and going back to the VPNS please ensure that all the inter site traffic is now encyrpted. thanks.

Now there are lot of things in there that are difficult but not impossible to do and as an MCSE you would be expected to sort the wheat from the Chaff and get it done.

As for these MCSES from scratch in 4 week courses they can only be teaching you to pass the exams and get the certificates not the skills necessary to actually do the job you will be employed to do. AVOID THEM.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

the microsoft uk website

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdba/requirements.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/requirements.mspx

Scroll to the bottom of both pages and read the footnotes. As soon as all core exams retire it becomes impossible to obtain the cert.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx

It is quite likey the MCAD, MCSD and MCDBA pages will get removed or reworded soon.

Would you care to clarify your question as it seems very muddled ? Which of the seven or so certs you have mentioned are you interested in and why ?

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Very much doubt it's the Microsoft Certified Master course, and that's just based on the price - the MCM program is about $18500, and with the exchange rate as it is, it's about £18,500... Let alone the length of the program :rolleyes:

Even using Microsoft own guides, which I believe itsn't long enough, 1 month is only 4 modules at a very fast pace. Unless you already work at the level that the cert was aimed at for a very good length of time, I realistically can't see how someone can learn and retain that much information.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

So some MCM courses last three weeks, and its possible you could maybe get it for £10k, but then you will probably also have to pay airfare to the US, hotels, exam retakes, etc. Plus I doubt they would even let you enroll, you have to already have other certs plus experience. Personally I can think of better ways to spend £10k, if you want it that bad go and work for MS.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Without experience, pointless 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

hi there yeah think you are all right, think ill start with A+/N+ and then do the MCDST, that should get me a start in IT, all the other certs ie MCSA/E sound miles off and i wouldnt want to disrespect both myself and the qualification itself, is there any other cert i could get above the MCDST or add value to it??? again thanks for all replies gents, i know some of my questions seem silly or even stupid but you have made me understand alot in the last couple of days so thanks especially gingerdave and nugget:D:D:D and sparky

12. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

No worries -thats why we are here :D

I think at the moment that is enough is there is approximately 700 hours of study there if you are coming for little of no experiance!

Once you have your MCDST then you can look at some higher level certs, but at that point you should hopefully be empolyed in the industry and that will probably have an effect on which direction you choose to go in.

good luck.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

cheers gingerdave ill do that then mate once ive got MCDST and got a job ill no doubt need advice cheers fella :D:D:D:D