Microsoft ISA Server Standard Editon 2006 Academic

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ozzie, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Does anyone know what features would be included on 'Academic' software compared with software considered 'non-academic.' I have looked on the MS website without any luck.

Thanks

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The Academic flag is generally a licensing only flag that adjusts who exactly can buy it and at what cost
    you should find it is a copy of ISA 2006 Standard with a slightly different license affecting it, that's about it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The academic part is only talking about the licencing agreement and price. This is a whole lot cheaper than the retail version and legally your limited to using it in an established educational centre (eg school, college, etc) only. Apart from that nothing to my knowledge.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That's different mate. They are specific editions of software aimed at students & teachers so MS don't appear totally evil. :)

The Academic license versions of things like ISA are aimed at organisations not individuals. You could probably buy an academic/educational version of ISA or any other MS application through a reseller but unless you qualify as that type of organisation you might as well have downloaded a pirate version as you wouldn't be licensed. Your reseller should advise you of this though really.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I see your point I was just trying to provide generally useful info for people ! :D

If you follow the link you will get to here :-

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/buy/licensing/buying.mspx

It details the various options, it appears all current server licenses must be bought regardless of location but that a discount can be obtained...

7. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Thanks guys:biggrin

WIP: CompTIA A+