Microsoft Instructor-Led Courses

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Lunartick, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Lunartick

Lunartick New Member

Hi,

I am currently trying to get my IT career pointing in the right direction. I have been tottering about in various roles for about 10 years now, but I finally got a job doing second level support about 18 months ago.

They have now offered to send our tech teams on a couple of Microsoft Courses, classroom based in training centres. They are:

Course 6424A: Fundamentals of Microsoft Server 2008 Active Directory
    Course 6292A: Installing and Configuring Windows 7 Client

My question, which none of us seem to know the answer to, is do you get any kind of certificate or piece of paper to say you have done these courses or are they just for awareness? Any extra pieces of paper can only be a good thing?!

I am currently studying MS 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional and after i have done that I intend to go for MS 70-680/70-686: MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7.

Thanks for any advice.

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It depends.

Generally the training centre will provide you with a certificate of completion for that particular course.
    Microsoft do supply blank ones that they can fill in, but many centres use their own.
    While they're not a 'cert' in the strictest definition of the word, they show that you've done the course so you can hang them on your wall, or whatever.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If it is an offical MS course (and not just a course led by a Microsoft instructor), you should get a certificate of completion. This does not mean that you're a Microsoft certified person, it just means that you've sat a course. To be a MCP/MCTS (Microsoft certified), you have to pass the exam.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Lunartick

Lunartick New Member

Hi,

Thanks for that. I thought you have to do exams essentially for the proper qualification, which is what I intend to do. However as the courses that work are sending me on are kind of job specific to my role, I wasn't sure if it was just to raise awareness or whether or not I would get something to show for it that I could potentially use in the future.

Thanks.