Microsoft getting worried???

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, May 26, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

For years, Microsoft has been the dominant force in the software market. Almost every PC is brought out with windows pre-installed. Virtually everyone knows it, and knows how to use it (even if just a little).

But has anyone seen lately the adverts on TV advertising Microsoft Windows????? Seems to me that they may well be getting a little worried about the open source world.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I doubt it matey, probably just like Coke, Pepsi etc... they sell shed loads, got the markets pretty much sewn up, but they still keep advertising. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't think that M$ is in any danger of losing their domination of the desktop market anytime soon, but Linux is begining to make preliminary in roads. This in no way indicates a serious "threat" to M$ profits, but the corporate mindset of Microsoft seems to be one where they must have a near 100% of the marketshare in order to feel comfortable. Even losing a few percentage points is enough to prompt a swift and dramatic response from them it seems.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I think its just down to microsofts expanding european influence
    compared to the states, we never used to get any MS ads on the TV (or billboards) now we do, but the US market has done for yonks, and thats one of thier strongest

it just comes down to the fact they have been expanding thier european operations/interests

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Age might be sneeking up on me a little here but I seem to remember that Microsoft start advertising Windows as it begins the build up to a new release? Yeah, Longhorn might not be imminent but maybe this is a long term thing... get the Windows brand at the front of our minds again then begin the Longhorn ads....

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  6. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

I don't think microshaft ( sorry microsoft!) have anything to worry about! Linux to me is not yet a viable option for the average pc user simply because even the supposedly user friendly distros aren't that user friendly - some people do struggle with basic features of windows xp so how are they gonna get the best out of linux?

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This article from newsforge was posted as a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor but it also has a certain amount of truth in it:

http://os.newsforge.com/os/05/05/18/2033216.shtml?tid=149&tid=73&tid=16

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

I have read the article and i stand by what i said - i agree that windows xp isn't perfect but it works! well sometimes anyway! lol

I have had a number of computers that have problems with various linux distros some won't even install! I believe linux is the better operating system but i still think the average pc user would struggle. I'll leave it there i think cause this could run on forever!!! lol

I currently have 2 linux boxes running fine at the moment just in case anyone wondered whether i was biased or not! :D

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  9. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Thanks for that link Trip, that was a good read. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada