Microsoft Frustrations

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cunningfox, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Grrrrrrrrr Microsoft evilness :evil.

Bit of a rant incoming.

I'm no DBA nor stay on top of SQL changes or pricing particularly. That said I used to love the MS SQL pricing model, they charged per processor not per core which meant that you could get a Dell R910 (my SQL server model of choice) with 4 Processors and run SQL 2008 on it unlimited for £16k OEM. Bargain with the newer 6-10 core hyperthreaded processors out at the moment upto 80 processing cores lovely monster SQL box for under £30k fully licensed.

Now though, try £2.5k per core and the same box with the same power with the same licence well over £200k, and I've had a warning that's it's going up again at the end of the month WTF!

Now try giving your boss a rough price for a new SQL project and finding your rough quote is out by over 1000%. Gah!!!!!!!! :x:x

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, pricing has increased over the last couple of years. However Microsoft isn't the only company doing this, other companies like VMWare are also doing this too :(

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

The difference is VMWare is still per CPU, not per core but limits vRAM per VM. On my side of things it makes no difference as we'll never have VMs going to 32GB let alone above it, but our physical boxes will be much bigger thanks to the relaxation on physical RAM. Imagine VMWare doing a M$ and making that per CPU cost actually per Core but halve the price.

As I say a couple of projects I'm wokring on just got screwed one 16k quote went to 25k the other went from 16k to 160k. Not happy, have to re-design and re-think from scratch.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's the way it starts :)

Ouch!!!!

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Maybe move to a true Open Source SQL DB ? They tend to miss a few features, but then lot people don't use half their DB's features anyway.

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yeah! My boss had a shock when Microsoft licenses for SQL 2008 on our virtual environment was quoted. Big big dosh, but hey companies have been paying for these as they must be getting their money's worth somehow.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell