Microsoft Extended the 2nd shot offer!!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Loopy, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

Hi, i've just been on Microsoft's web site and they have extended the 2nd shot offer until the 31st of august, I know it was a rumour anyway that they were going to extend it, but its definitely on their website.
    Thats fantastic news as I was panicing about all the extra money required to get through the MCSA, at least it gives a few months extra time to study and have a go.

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA Windows Server 2003
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Loopy,

Can you tell me a bit about the Microsoft exams. Are they like Comptia i.e 80 Questions, multiple choice? Does the pass mark change from exam to exam? If not, what do they set as a pass?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Not sure about the number of questions but think im correct in saying that the pass mark is 700 out of a 1000 :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

Hi the last exam I did was 70-290 which is Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 environment, that was 45 questions. I've also done the 70-270 XP client and that was 50 questions, so I think it varies between 40 and 60 really. I had 3 hours and 15 mins to do 70-290, and you had to get 700 to pass, I think it also varies what its out of as well, most people say 1000 but I don't think that is always true. The 70-290 is a mixture of simulations, multiple choice questions and point and click questions.
    70-270 I passed first time and that wasn't too bad, but 70-290 I am taking again for the 5th time in 2 weeks, i'm finding it extremely hard!, so the 2nd shot i'll be grateful for!.
    Then i'm intending on doing my MCDST exams to go towards the elective for the MCSA and then finally the 70-291 which is network infrastructures which is apparently harder than the 70-290 so i'd better start saving!!.

5. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Thanks for the info Loopy.:)

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Microsoft exams tend to be fairly short (from my experience) compared to others I have done like CompTIA and CIW (only about 45 questions as opposed to 85-90). They never seem to publish their passmarks, although they are usually 70%. I've heard that they vary the passmark to maintain a benchmark pass rate, but that might not be true.
    The worst thing about Microsoft exams is that both question and answer can be quite verbose, and it can be a struggle to work out exactly what is and isn't relevant.

All the ones I have done so far have been multiple choice. There is a demo on the Microsoft site of the new 'simulated' questions that they are rolling out for MCSE 2003.
    Has anyone tried one of these yet?
    They seem to be VPC based, but I haven't spoken to anyone who has tried one.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

I had some for the 70-290, they were VPC based, it was very realistic, only some options that were not revelant to the question did not function, but I do think it will raise the credablity of the MCSE / MCSA as a whole.
    Jam.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  8. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

I think the 70-290 simulations are a great idea and it proves you really know the software too. Although I do wonder how much of it records while you are trying to complete it, its amazing when you panic how long it can take you to find ADUC!! whoops.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for the "heads up", Loopy. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+