Microsoft Distributed File System (DFS) with replication

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wireless_Snake, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Looking at using DFS with replication for redundancy between two windows file servers there seems to be a big mixed bag when it comes to using DFS does anyone here use it? Is anyone completely against it for what ever reason? Just looking for people's thoughts on it.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When I moved into my current role DFS was common across the network, however what I couldn't get was why? Since all of the data was located on single volume dfs roots and not distributed around the network as I would expect. For this reason, we now simply use regular shares as we have dedicated servers for the specific data types.

Makes my life easier too since I know where to look straight away for stuff.

3. Wireless_Snake

Thanks for your reply what do you do about redundancy? Is your setup redundant?

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

We have RAID 5 with a hot spare on the servers. We also use Previous Versions every 4 hours and DPM 2010 to back the lot up.

Works for us. :-)

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I use it to replicate shares across sites. Also use it for roaming profiles for users that travel between sites.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Wireless_Snake

Have you had any issues with this?

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup – if a user has a file open at site A and then a user opens the same file in site B then the first user does not get a “File is currently open by user X” message so you can get conflicts.

You can get a third party product to fix this problem but it costs ££.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs