Microsoft confirms takeover of Skype

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, May 11, 2011.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Microsoft confirms takeover of Skype

Microsoft has confirmed that it has agreed to buy internet phone service Skype.

The deal will see Microsoft pay $8.5bn (£5.2bn) for Skype, making it Microsoft's largest acquisition.

Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said: "Skype is a phenomenal service that is loved by millions of people around the world. Together we will create the future of real-time communications so people can easily stay connected to family, friends, clients and colleagues anywhere in the world."

Fully Story

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zoradaly
      zoradaly
      oh really! That can Create a win-win situation !
    2. dales
      dales
      why would they want to buy skype when they already have similar abilities within live messenger and OCS!? Only thing I can think of is they want a slice of the money from calling landlines with skype I dont think they need the company from a technology standpoint.
    3. danielno8
      danielno8
      My guess it is the brand/userbase they are really buying.
    4. westernkings
      westernkings
      I agree. I hope they do something with it, maybe add it to Windows Phone without the App. They now have a pretty large marketing opportunity available to them through the Skype interface.
    5. Theprof
      Theprof
      I think it's a combination of things.. the users/technology/marketing/etc... Microsoft has always been a big player in the tech industry, buying out companies that they felt could benefit them... I am not surprised really. I am sure they're going to integrate that into their technology in one way or another.