Microsoft Certificate just arrived in post..ughh :(

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Gavin cass, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

My microsoft certificate arrived the post today inside the "welcome pack" and i was rather dissapointed.
    The certificate is a boring white board that looks like its been photocopied and just says you have been recognized as an MCP.

No mention of which exam i have passed (XP 70-270),or any other exiting goodies.. i was expecting a nice shiny certificate with an embossed logo or something.... has microsoft got so big it just doesnt really care? seems that way :( sob
    Feel like i should write to old Billy and let him know how i feel. lol

Anyone else got their welcome pack? what do you think?

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Photocopy it, then colour in said copy with highlighter pens - that'll jazz it up.

Aiming to start self study for my MCDST soon so we shall see if I am as disappointed. I don't want to be though!

Congratulations on the pass! :) All certifications are just bits of paper at the end of the day, it's what you know that's the most important thing.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCP track is just that, a certificate which tells you the credential that you've earned. The new MCTS track actually states what you have passed :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The MS certs are pretty dissapointing I have found. My CompTIA ones are much better quality

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Are you should that all you got in the right hand side of folded card :blink
    I got a PizzaExpress voucher for 20quid.

I'm waiting got the glass paperweight with MS logo 8)

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's been going downhill for a while.

The certificates are getting flimsier.

You used to get a decent plastic wallet card which was great at getting frost off the windscreen which is now so flimsy you couldn't open your granny's front door with it.

There also used to be a lapel pin, but I assume that someone stabbed themselves fatally while trying to put it on, because that seems to have vanished too.

But it's the thought that counts.

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

LOL,sure it didnt come in a fine italian leatherette briefcase with gold effect combination locks?

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I recieved my MCTS certificate today for the 70-620.

Have to say it's alot nicer and has a Gold Shiny Seal on it. Oh and the MCTS card is again alot better than the MCP cards.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Yep, I agree.

Oh, and Microsoft, BRING BACK THE LAPEL PINS. (please) :x

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't confuse passing an exam with completing a certification. You get certificates for completing certifications... not for passing an exam (unless the certification requires that you take only a single exam). So, don't expect to get a certificate for passing 70-290, for example, because you're not an MCP twice... you're an MCP who has taken two exams.

In any case, who cares what the certificates look like, really? The important part is that you hold the credential... not that you hold a piece of paper. All an employer is going to care is that they can electronically verify that you have achieved the certification.

Actually, it doesn't always. MCTS certifications *usually* consist of a single exam, but some *do* require that you pass multiple exams. For example, the MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications certification requires two exams.

My most recent card is a sturdy credit-card-style card.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll sell mine to the highest bidder, if they REALLY mean that much to you guys. :rolleyes::p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Once I get my MCSE I will be looking to buy an MCSE lapel pin....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  13. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I got nothing at all for my MCP and MCDST, I keep the test printouts after the exams in a folder I stole from work... :dry
    Is this cause I live in Canada or something?

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well I got my MCP certificated etc and I live in Canada too. It's just that you have to confirm a few things before they send out the kit. Usually the confirmation happens on your mcp page on microsoft. If you didn't claim anything then you wouldn't get anything in the mail.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Theprof, you are a pimp among men, thank you.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  16. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Did people actually wear the pins? I can't imagine it myself.

I do like the wallet card though.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  17. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I dont mind the certificates too much, I just see them as something i have received for an achievement, not as something that needs to be anything more than that.

I do like my new cisco certificate, that looks nice, get a card as well.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

LOL no prob.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA