Microsoft and the Open University introduce innovative Degree

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by simongrahamuk, Mar 1, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Microsoft and the Open University introduce innovative Degree

A new and innovative degree has been created by Microsoft and the Open University that brings the opportunity for students to incorporate their Microsoft certifications into their degree studies. Registration for the first delivery of this course is now open.

Read further information.

Got sent the above in a Microsoft Education Email.

2. Gaiden

Gaiden Bit Poster

Thanks for this, i think it's about time i get a degree, as my certifications don't seem to count as much.
    Does anyone find that degrees are more favourable than certifications within the UK.

Certifications: MCSA, Security+
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

As an OU student I saw this a few months back. I found it an interesting concept - the only catch is that it ONLY counts towards a Foundation Degree. I've not really worked out where a FD sits in the range of qualifications but get the feeling there are the same as an old Higher National Diploma.

Once I get my current course, T305 - Digital Comms and is this hard work or what, out of the way in Oct I'm left with just the second half of my "Level 3" courses to do and then I am finished. Don't mention the Masters I have got my eye on!!

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I suspect they may be having teething problems with this one...

I'm an OU student, and signed up for MT127 on last November's intake. It only costs about £75, and all you have to do is prove that you have passed one of the recognised MS exams.

Given that the end of Nov was the cut off, I was a bit concerned by the beginning of Dec. I had received my letter confirming my enrolment, but no information about how or when to submit my evidence. So I sent them an email.

A week or so later I received a response saying that my letter had been held up and if I hadn't heard anything by the end of December to contact them again - but as long as I submitted my evidence (in whatever form) by the end of Jan, I would be fine.

I don't remeber the end of December much... :oops:

So in early Jan, I replied to the email and said 'nope, nothing, sorry.'

About a week later I recieved an email from a lovely young lady asking me if I could clarify exactly what MT127 was, and what I was expecting to receive, then she would sort it out.

Being the helpful sort, I replied and supplied her with a link to the OU's own website where the course is detailed.

About a week later, I recieved my letter telling me what evidence to submit and how. I did it, but have still had no response and no indication if it has been approved or not.

Now, I've been with the OU for several years and normally wouldn't hear a word said against them, but, well, frankly this episode was a bit Jim Thornton (name changed on legal advice).

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

Wow, this is great news!! but I wonder why Microsoft didn't email me about it direct!?

Anyway, I've just been reading over at the OU site and it all sounds great, in fact the two Qualifications I have mean I'm eligible for the whole 60 points on offer! :biggrin

They count towards a Foundation degree which is 240 points so this certainly gives me an incentive to study with OU as I already have 25% of the Degree

Only thing is though, does anyone know what you do after attaining a Foundation degree? Is there a process of updating to a full BSc (360 points?)

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003
    WIP: tbc