Meyers third or fourth edition

Discussion in 'Network+' started by BBombber, Mar 17, 2009.

1. BBombber

BBombber New Member

Hello
    should I get Network+ 3rd edition or wait until the 4th edition is published.I want to take N+ asap but will I miss out on anything if I use the 3rd edition with the 4th being published soon(June I think)
    Thanks

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

There's no real point in waiting. Get the third revision now and start studying! June is still a good way off and you could pass the exam in the time you spend standing around.

The exam shouldn't drastically change, so study up and you can fill in any additions at a later date once you know your stuff.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

What you'll miss out on is 2-3 months of study time, which is not good if you want to pass asap.
    Personally I'm not going to bother putting which revision I've passed on my CV, so if any prospective employer wants to know they can ask me at the interview :tune

I'm in the same position, and I decided to go for it. I reckon I've got a good chance of passing it before the current exam is retired (around 5-6 months time I would think). If I don't complete it in time then at least I'll have done the bulk of the work and the cost of a new textbook is fairly minimal compared to losing several months of study.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep what QS said.

The newer edition has some of the older technologies missing but the pass mark is higher tis currently 554 on the new one tis 700

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Wow. That's a big jump! It's also a big incentive.

6. greenbrucelee

Thats why I decided to get it done :)

I forgot to add that I would also recommend getting Network+ by David Gorth

7. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  8. greenbrucelee

9. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Hmm, its a bit of a messy one really. If I buy the 3rd edition, it means I'd have to pass the exam before 31st July - otherwise I'll have to go back and buy the forth ed?

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That'd be the plan.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Just great, so it could be a waste of time reading the third ed if I fail before the 31st, lol. It'll be a nightmare if I'll have to go back and buy the forth ed.

12. greenbrucelee

dude its a book, whats another £20 not much imo. Anyway its not a waste of time reading about the older technologies not every company uses new tech stuff straight away wether it comes to hardware, software and networking setups. Most companies go for what works the best for the cheapest price possible and this usually means older stuff.

13. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I'm probably alone in this but I find some of the older stuff quite interesting! It's cool to see what was used and why/how everything was moved on.

Even if you read the 3rd edition and don't do the 2007 exam, the studying will probably hold you in good stead for the 2009 exam as some of the material will cross over.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

In terms of the exam it obviously makes sense to have the material that matches the current release of the exam.

However in terms of your career, and actually being a more knowledgeable tech, then learning some of the older technologies will do you no harm whatsoever. There is still old hardware and software out there that needs tech support.

In general I get the impression that some people that are starting out in IT think that everyone is running Server 2008 with Vista desktops. That would be nice but there are people called finance directors who want to squeeze another year out of their Windows 2000 domains, curses! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. greenbrucelee

Your not alone, trust me on this :)

yep :D

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed... and you're not alone.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

It's not the money that worries me mate. It's the fact that if I read a book based on the 2007 exam, and I don't manage to pass it in time - then I'll have to buy another book for the updated 2009 exam, which means more time reading and studying.

I can't help but feel as though the next three months of studying will all be in vein if I don't manage to pass before the exam is updated. Thats my worry.

Maybe I'm exageratting a little, but I'm a born worrier!

18. greenbrucelee

better get reading then :D just ask on here if you get stuck

19. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I've just had a look at both 2005/2007 objectives and 2009 objectives and the main differences are:

OUT: Pretty much everything LAN related that's not TCP/IP and ethernet. IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, Token-ring, 10Base5/2 etc all gone.

IN: More troubleshooting, security and more in-depth knowledge of ethernet media and TCP/IP protocols.

Based on that, I'd say the vast majority of the 3rd edition is still very much relevant. There are probably 3 chapters out of 19 that won't be relevant for the 2009 revision.

20. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

I bought the Meyers AIO Third edition last night, as soon as it arrives I'll be blitzing the book until I'm blue in the face!

I just hope I can pass the exam before the 31st.