messenger crash?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by piercdnmnyplaces, Oct 17, 2005.

1. piercdnmnyplaces

piercdnmnyplaces New Member

Hopefully someone else will know what im talking about,but whenever i click on any of the tabs on yahoo messenger it immediatly closed out yahoo messenger..same thing happens when i have a chat window up and try and click on any of the tabs,I have uninstalled and reinstalled messenger,and have run out of ideas as to what could be causing this any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

first off welcome to the forums mate!

id say some malicious programs, spyware virus etc.... that are causing this

run a few anti-spyware scans and anti-virus scans and let us know.

why not introduce yourself properly in the new members forum?

it's easier to help if we know a little more about you! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to CF.

As moomin has already pointed out it is always worth checking for spy/virus on applications that need various ports to access the net. :)
    If you still have problems it might be worth a re-install. Did the download go sweet?

Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

IM viruses are becoming more common. I agree with the others...scan your computer for malware and see what comes up.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. piercdnmnyplaces

piercdnmnyplaces New Member

Well I ran a couple diff virus scan..norton& trendmicro free online scan,and I ran ad-aware spyware detection,and im still having the same prob..and I completely uninstall messenger and reinstalled it again =/ maybe im just cursed lol

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is is perhaps a bad key in the registry.

Have you tried running any registry cleaners?

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The other thing I would try is once you have the software uninstalled is to go through and manually delete all the files associated with it. Some uninstall programs leave a lot of files and I'd make sure I had all of those cleaned out. Then I'd take Bluerinse's advice and run a registry cleaner.

I manually go through the registry and delete anything I find related to programs that give me problems like this but I do that after I make a registry back up and it's not something everyone should try. If you don't know what you're looking for you'll cause far more trouble than you'll fix.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1