Messaging:70-284 and 70-285

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Sparky, May 4, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just wondering if anyone has done (or in the progress of doing) the 70-284 or 70-285 exams. Just had a look through the objectives and they look like tough exams but I would like to increase my Exchange Server skills so passing these exams (or trying to!) looks like a good place to start.

Just installed a DC and two member servers in the lab ready to get Exchange configured, so much for taking a break after the MCSE. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I'm working on 284. It was a new beast when I started, but I am an Exchange admin at work which helps a lot. Reading about virtual servers etc is all good, but going in to work the next day and looking at how its setup on a live network helps a lot. Hope to take the exam in 3-4 weeks, but finding it hard to get the study hours in at the moment.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Sparky

Nice one mate, are you using the MS Press book? It gets a crap review on Amazon but I’ve always used the MS Press book for each MS exam I have taken so far.

Any plans to take the 70-285 after?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. NightWalker

Yep, got the MS press book. There is a bit right near the start where the exercise wants you to right click an administrative group and rename it. I got a bit miffed cos it wouldn’t work.... turns out the guy that wrote the book worked on a beta copy of Exchange 2003, you can only right click and rename an administrative group when Exchange is in native mode, starts off in mixed mode with a fresh install. The book is ok though, I have also used the TestOut CBT stuff.

After this cert I plan to do 70-294 and 70-297 to get my MCSE.

5. Sparky

The 70-297 is an unusual exam, 6 case studies with around 6-10 questions per case study. Not much fun! :blink

Cheers for the heads up on the MS Press book, ordering it now. 8)

6. NightWalker

No probs. Cheers for the rep. I really want to get this cert finished off, its my own fault I have dragged it out far too long, always other things distracting me!

297 will be my last one for MCSE, so its going to be a challenge for the final hurdle.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've been studying from the Sybex book for 70-284. Supposedly, that, plus some real-world experience and common sense, should also be enough to get me through the 70-285.

I've been ready for weeks... but a recent project push at work has delayed it. No biggie... I'll knock it out afterwards. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!