Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pablo1888, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Installed two sticks of 256mb ddr pc3200 memory in my PC last night, giving me a total of 1Gb of memory. I want to change my paging file but I am unsure what to set the min and max to. I know that Microsoft recommend 1.5 times but I think that is too big for 1Gb. Should I leave it up to Windows to decide and put it onto a different partition, or have no page file at all?

What are your thoughts?

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Windows usually handles memory management and in most cases, I haven't had a problem. If paging is set too low, you usually get a warning to increase it. I encounter the warning periodically on my lab machine and usually when I'm running too many VMs simultaneously in VMWare.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

with a Gig of RAM in there, I'd leave the paging to Windows, m8 :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Yeah Jakamoko, that's what I was swaying towards doing.

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  5. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

I always set my paging file to the amount of ram I have or a little over. I have always been under the impression that setting a min and max size for the paging file is the way to go for the simple reason that it wont become fragmented this way.

Set the page file size, reboot and defrag the hardrive so now you have a static page file all in one place on the hardrive, and if you want to, use a third party defragmenter to try to get the file towards the leading edge of the hardrive tracks for faster reading and writing.

Also I believe you should not ideally set a paging file smaller that your ram otherwise Windows cant create a full memory dump in the event of a system crash.

Many people have different feelings on how they set their virtual memory, this is just the way I have always done it but which ever way you choice, I dont think they are worlds apart in noticable performance.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

According to MS, your page file should be at least one and a half times the amount of physical RAM in your PC. However, according to somewhere I read, it is better to set them both to way much more than that, and make them, both the same, as if you create a fixed size page file, Windows doesn't have to resize during operation, making it a bit faster and more stable.

So far, I'm inclined to believe this, and have always set my pagefile to as much as poss (up to a gig of HDD) and fixed.

HTH [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity