Meeting People Online Offline

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 13, 2006.

?

Have you met someone one in person?

1. Yes - all the time

22.7%
  2. Yes - only when i get to know them

31.8%
  3. No -This Xmas meal will be my first time

27.3%
  4. No - Xmas meal or not - Well Creepy!

18.2%
  1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

You probably know by now, that our Boycey here is organising the CF Xmas Meal 2006...

I have never met anyone Online Offline, or inperson, i've spoken to them on the phone, but not actually met them...

this will be my first time, too bad its a bunch of lads and not babes!

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Your wording is pretty funny. :P

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Mr.Cheeks

its unique my friend.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've met a couple of 'online' people offline that I know from different forums, but mostly that was because it had something to do with work.

I missed out on the chance to meet up with Gav earlier in the year when he practically stayed in my back garden!

Always think that it is good to put faces to names. Or you could discover that someone you thought was a good guy turns out to be a complete pr1ck! :biggrin

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I will admit I have met "people" online offline...and by people I mean women...hehe...I use to visit loads of chat rooms in my younger days and getting acquainted with a few of them...a couple of them I still talk to about 7yrs later!!! weird...lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. Mr.Cheeks

expected that from you...

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hey I cant help it...lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

gotta agree with noel g, (poet and i dont know it... :tongue) but the only people i've met offline are a few cheeky women...before i was married obviously...

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Never have, but wouldn't exclude it out of hand either. I couldn't vote though because none of the replies apply to me.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've been meeting people online since my teen years, not as ominous as it sounds I assure you

growing up on the internet gives you a somewhat different perspective on things, I have been online since I was 9, I met my wife on the internet, I met alot of people I now consider to be my best friends either online, or through computer related passtime/occupation

Having started IT as a gamer, and attended LAN parties since i was 15, alot of the people i 'met' at the LAN parties were already well known to me through the various IRC networks and other chat systems we gamers used to frequant (I think a few hardcore folks still use IRC, but I have little use for it these days)

Since then I have met numerous people online, and in this day and age its no more unsafe or unorthadox to meet people you first met online than it is to meet a random stranger in a bar, I have friends on practically every continent on the planet now, many of whom I have visited, or have visited me in the past, and will likely do so again, some of my WoW guildmates are from Jordan and I have an open invite to see them, I know Japanese people who have stayed with me during their visit to London to save a few quid and whom I also have open invitations to visit, I have met numerous Americans I met online in my extensive travels including our very own Tripwire, and look forward to meeting them again

The world is a much smaller place these days if people actually embraced it as such :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Phoenix,

Let us know when you start meeting people on another planet...

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Allow me to introduce Gav..
    :)

*runs and hides*

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

At MM and Noel - I'm a woman who's met creepy guys from the net. What's your point? :rolleyes:

:)

Nah, I'm a great believer in the internet as a social tool. I got bullied quite a lot when I was in my mid teens, and I retreated. I started hanging around forums, and I made many friends. And there's a lot of people I already knew in RL, that I never really 'found out about' until I started chatting to them online.

There's also the fact that I met my current BF (of a year and a half) on an internet dating site.

I don't think it's bad, or creepy, as long as you are sensible about it. Go to properly administered sites (unless you want to look for that kind of thing :rolleyes: ) and if you are going to meet someone, make sure that your family/friends know where you will be.

On a Certforums note, I could realistically harass AJ and TCM, being in the middle ground of Coventry 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. Mr.Cheeks

Noel + MM - Have you forgetton the wrath of Arroyn?

15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Coventry - Isn't that part of Birmingham. Difficult to tell as they all talk the same :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well you certainly created a impression here!!:biggrin ( I mean that in a good way)

What about that invention of yours?
    Has it got a name?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  17. Arroryn

Yes. It's called the Invention.

And @ AJ - Coventry is Coventry. I speak like I'm from Coventry. (well, I speak like I'm from a school for posh gits, which is where I went).

And in conclusion, if I ever see you in the Vodka Bar in Northampton, I'll Wallop you. With a capital W :ohmy

18. Mr.Cheeks

Haha!

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Are you having a blonde moment? :blink

Northampton I come from Southampton?:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  20. Arroryn

That was at AJ. Geeeeez :rolleyes:

I could have got you the other week. Spent 2 weeks galavanting around the New Forest with the other half. Very pretty part of the country.

However, Southampton is now a no go zone. Went in a car park for 3 hours <----- that's 3 HOURS

And the charge? £8.40. WHO NEEDS TO CHARGE THAT MUCH!?!