Media Centre Edition...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Jul 25, 2005.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

Is anyone currently using the Microsoft media centre software?
    I have been looking into it recently and am after as much info as possible. I already read up on the microsoft site and would appreciate advice/reviews from someone actually using it.
    Although manufacturers seem to be marketing systems especially for this is it possible to build your own? I don't see why it cant be done but knowing microsoft who knows?
    What sort of screens are compatible etc and I presume if I do build my own a super silent psu would be a must.
    I am considering trying this setup in my living room so a 19" TFT is not going to be acceptable. Is it possible to plug in any standard digital TV, can you record/pause live TV as easily as they claim?
    Any hardware recommendations etc most gratefully recieved.
    If it means I can use this PC as a web surfer and gamer but at the flick of a switch watch/record tv then I am having one. Does this work on normal TV bbc1-ch5 and also does it work with sky?
    Any input?

:blink Thanks in advance

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well it can be done
    except u cant get MCE off the shelf, its an OEM product only
    ofcourse an MSDN subscription fixes that little problem ;)

Working with Sky/Cable is a pain because of the encrypted status of the signals
    your generally limited to standards channels

you will need a TV card, there are a variety of these, but only a few good ones to consider

Also many people like to use Mini ITX systems for this sort of thing, as they are quiet and cooler, and can fit niceley under a TV, however you can count out gaming on a system like that :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Cheers Phoenix,

I think I am going to wait until it all seems "easier" to set-up. The day when a 52" plasma is under £500 and the processor can make the tea etc.. or just a bit cheaper.
    Most appreciated.

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you can check out www.ebuyer.co.uk they seem to have the stuff in order for one to build their own MCE PC....even with mini ATX/barebones cases...should be a good scope like...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life