MeasureUp Exam question on subnetting

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by GeeJay, Nov 25, 2009.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

So I'm booked in for my 291 soon, and have been doing a few measure up tests that came with the MS Training packs. I'm generally doing pretty well (Not passing @ 87% mind, but these always seem harder than the actual exams)

Anyway, there are a few questions relating to subnetting that I'm really stumped as to how to get to the answers, even with their little explainations. I was wondering if it would be okay to paste the questions/answers for the two I'm stuck on for some extra explaination? Or is that against forum rules?

From the press books, I'm really good at identifying host capacities, converting subnet notations etc, just not so brilliant at applying them entirely to a question. I seem to get *somewhere* in the question, but not all the way...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, 70-294
    WIP: 70-298
  2. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

From what I've seen on this forum, posting Q&A from test engines is a no-no, but posting examples from study material seems to be okay.

Subnetting revolves around a couple of key points: how many subnets can be derived from an IP address to fit a required number of hosts per subnet, and what the subnet address ranges are and their subnet masks. Many subnetting questions I've come across seem to ask for these points.

Best to get your head around subnetting now, because subnetting rears its ugly head again in 70-293. Actually, 293 is a repeat of just about everything you learn in 291 except that its applied with a design point of view rather than from an installation and maintenance angle.

3. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

If you need sub-netting practice (although there are very few questions on it in the exam) look on
    http://www.subnettingquestions.com

No explanations, but it is all good practice.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Just post it with different wording and numerical values, while retaining the original area the question is testing.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)