MCTS training

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by phonics3k, Aug 21, 2006.

1. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Is it possible todo the "MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications" exam with only "home" learning? or is it better to go to one of these intensive courses where it costs an arm and a leg?

P.S sorry if the post is in the wrong section, but MCAD is the predessor of this Cert :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Yes it is possible... look at amazon for the book... do you have any programming experience or do any?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Ye,

I used to program in VB 6 but now I have moved on to VS 2005 C#, I have only just started with this language but I am picking it up quickly. I have a book for C# already "Beginning Visual C# 2005 Express Edition" by Apress. I am thinking of getting another one that shows more advanced stuff.

4. jcb

jcb New Member

I'm self-studying for the MCTS too. I don't think it's neccessary to go on a course. There's plenty of information on the web. I recommend the Que books, I've found it really helpful with the step by step examples. And I just google for additional information to supplement my learning.

5. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Que books?

Did you get them from amazon?

and if you could post a couple of links to the info you have found, that would help me loads :D

Thanks
    James

6. Hangleton

Hangleton Bit Poster

I just passed 70-536 purely from self-study.

I got the Microsoft Press book, which is not well written and contains a lot of errors, but in strange a way that helps as you have to think more while reading it.

I had some previous VB6 experience and knew some Java which helped a little, but I took the exam in C#.

It took me 6/7 weeks at a rate of probably a couple of hours a day.

It helps for some of the examination functionality if you have Professional versions of Visual Studio and XP , but it's by no means essential.

Hope this helps a little.

Certifications: MCPD EA, MCDST, MCTS SQL
    WIP: MCPD .NET 3.5, MCITP Vista
  7. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

I have the MS Press Self Study book and I am working through it by doing about 3 hours a day. I am currently on the Regular Expressions lesson and I am fininding it a breeze.

Congrats on passing your exam btw, I should be joining you shortly hopfully :D