MCTS and MCITP!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Fluid, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Hi,

I was wandering if you could upgrade your MCSA/MCSE/MCDBA to a MCTS or MCITP. Im not sure exactly what they even are but iv seen people with MCITP: SA im assuming SA = Server admin? Can someone correct me please? Anyone done any of the MCTS exams below? They kind of seem curcial to me to be honest. If you have MCDST you can upgrade it to MCTS?

MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 – Configuration
    Test Item: 70-236

MCTS: Windows Vista – Configuration
    Test Item: 70-620

MCTS: Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops
    Test Item: 70-624

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Fluid you are better off visiting Microsoft's web site and view the certifications section. You would not only get up to date information there but also very accurate and precise information about your question.

Cheerio and have a good day:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you plan on getting MVP status, you've got to learn to use Google effectively... here's the link to your information... click the first link at the top. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you have the MCDST you can take the 70-621 exam to attain the MCTS: Vista and the MCITP: EST

Yes MCITP: SA is for the Server Admin, this is the cred/cert that is taking over from the MCSA for the 2008 platform. And the MCITP: EA is for Enterprise Admin, this is the cred/cert that is taking over from the MCSE for the 2008 platform.

You'll see people (like myself) working towards those creds, however you will not see anyone with the full cred at the moment as most of the exams for them haven't been released yet (some have been thru the beta process, but results will not be release for another month or so).

While MS will be/is offering upgrade paths for the MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, etc. There are no upgrade paths for the Mesaging or Security specialities (MCSA: Messaging, MCSE: Security, etc), eg if you want to be certified for Exchange on 2007, you will have start that route from fresh.

For some of the upgrade routes see below:

MCDST upgrade exam
    MCSA Upgrade exam (you will have to do other exams to achieve the full upgrade)
    MCSE upgrade exam (you will have to do other exams to achieve the full upgrade)

Because there is a wider range of DB and programming certs, see here.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

ahhh ok right i understand fully now thank you soo much! But what if i have MCDBA, can that be upgraded now or i would have to wait as well?

6. Kitkatninja

The two exams that you'll have to take is the 70-447 & the 70-431, to see the page click here. I believe these exams are live already.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Its one exam isnt it?

Upgrade exam for MCDBA (one exam required) C

Exam 70–447: UPGRADE: MCDBA Skills to MCITP Database Administrator by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005

8. Kitkatninja

Yes it is only one upgrade exam, but you still have to complete the prerequisite that MS lays down otherwise you will not gain your full upgrade.

9. Kitkatninja

It's like the MCSE 2k3 upgrade to MCITP: EA, you can do the upgrade upgrade but you don't get the MCITP: EA until you complete the following exams: 70-647 & 70-620, 70-621 or 70-624.

-ken

10. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

I think thats a bit of a ****ing piss take dont you ??? Why are they doing this? just to rince us out of more cash?

11. Kitkatninja

I guess the same reason why the new gen of MS exams have an expiry date. MCTS is valid only for the life of the product and the MCITP has to be renewed every 3 years, imo money :lol:

-Ken

12. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

omg wtf???!!!!!

13. Kitkatninja

See here.

-ken

14. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

even if its expired can you still put it on ur cv?

15. Kitkatninja

I don't know. I guess you could but you may have to state the status of it. MS is also talking about creating a lapsed status (this hasn't been finalised yet), this is a grace period of a year for you to renew your certs, if after this period you do not renew you will have to do all the exams again and not just the renewal exam.

-ken

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No.

These questions can be answered from that link I provided you...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

For the upgrade-path to Windows Server 2008 take a look at the thread I posted a couple of weeks ago.

Guido

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  18. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Fluid,

I'm not going to answer your questions, because everyone else already has. I do have a some advice.

First, what are doing? I read a post earlier where you had three high level MCSE exams scheduled in the same week and didn't know you could reschedule them. Now you are asking about a number of MCTS exams. do you have any experience with Exchange? You mentioned recently about wanting to be an MVP. In you signature you have:

A+: WIP Deadline June 2008
    N+: WIP Deadline June 2008
    MCDST: WIP Deadline June 2008
    CCNA: WIP Deadline June 2008
    MCSA: WIP Deadline December 2008

You seem to be jumping all over the place. IT can be very fast paced and I understand that it can be overwhelming to try to keep up, but what you are doing by jumping all over the place, is setting yourself disaster.

I think you need to take a step back and figure out what your professional goals are. Included both long term and short term goals, but do not include any certifications as goals. After that, look at what certifications will help you achieve you short and long term goals. Then set you certification goals. It is ok to re-evaluate your goals, but if you do it constantly and make changes you are not going to make any progress.

My job forces me to keep up on a lot of different technology, but when it comes to certifications, I try to focus on one goal and one exam at a time. Earlier this year I had to complete a Citrix exam for a work requirement. After that my next goal was to complete the MCSE 2000. The goal I am working on now is the MCSA:Security for Windows 2003. I just passed the 292 upgrade exam, now I am studying for the Sec+ and working on gathering study materials for the 70-299 which will be my next exam after Sec+. A long term professional goal for me is to get into Network Security. Do you see how I am adding the Sec+ and MCSA:Sec to my existing skills to help me with that long term goal?

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)